round liner ovalized and BENT...not on purpose

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rmcfall

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Nov 28, 2005
Total I went to install my rigid chimney liner and accidently ovalized a section of it when I dropped it by mistake. I was able to straighten out most of the pipe, but it still had a pretty good bend in it. The bend isn't so much that it will interfere with the draft, but my concern is with the pipe itself. Is the integrity of the pipe compromised from where I bent it and then hammered it back to as round a shape as possible? Should I order a new length of pipe?

here's some pics..although it is sort of hard to see. There are actually two places where the liner got bent. The first bend is much worse than the second.

one pic is taken zoomed out, and the other zoomed in. You can see where I have hammered in the first bend. I wasn't able to reach the second bend, and it isn't that bad anyway.

Attachments

• PICT0068.jpg
    PICT0068.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 426
You might do what Rhonemas did with his flex liner. Stick a 2X6 in it and rotate it to straighten the pipe back out. It ought to be fine.

good idea with the 2x6. I'll have to give that a try. In terms of the pipe, however, you don't think there will be any problem with it? I can't see there being any problem with it, but I just want to make sure it is safe. I can't see a bend like this being an issue with 24 gauge pipe, but then again I figured I'd better ask the experts...

Attachments

• PICT0063.jpg
    PICT0063.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 380
I think I can live with the brush getting stuck a few times. Actually, I cut a board the diameter of the liner and worked it up and down, back and forth, etc. Seemed to get things straightened out pretty well, except for a small bend up high that I couldn't reach. I guess I was really worried whether a sharp bend like this might put a crease in the liner, or even a small break that would go unnoticed. I guess there isn't much chance of this though??

While it is my own fault and stupidity that this liner got bent, this 24 gauge rigid really does bend pretty easily. The flex liner I used in a previous install seemed more durable than this stuff. I know the wall thickness is greater, but it sure doesn't take much to put some dents in it...

rmcfall said:
I think I can live with the brush getting stuck a few times. Actually, I cut a board the diameter of the liner and worked it up and down, back and forth, etc. Seemed to get things straightened out pretty well, except for a small bend up high that I couldn't reach. I guess I was really worried whether a sharp bend like this might put a crease in the liner, or even a small break that would go unnoticed. I guess there isn't much chance of this though??

While it is my own fault and stupidity that this liner got bent, this 24 gauge rigid really does bend pretty easily. The flex liner I used in a previous install seemed more durable than this stuff. I know the wall thickness is greater, but it sure doesn't take much to put some dents in it...
Although the flex liner is pretty durable If it is twisted it will break the seals fairly easily, like opening those cinnamon roll containers (sorry for the bad description) but you should be ok though.. However you may not be able to use a steel brush when cleaning the pipe in the future as it may get stuck in the ovalized portion.

rmcfall said:
good idea with the 2x6. I'll have to give that a try. In terms of the pipe, however, you don't think there will be any problem with it? I can't see there being any problem with it, but I just want to make sure it is safe. I can't see a bend like this being an issue with 24 gauge pipe, but then again I figured I'd better ask the experts...
And stop posting the picture it's like a bad trip I had once :gulp:

I've always used a poly brush anyway, so hopefully cleaning won't be a problem. Plus, it doesn't seem to be too ovalized since I've reshaped most of it back in place.

So in terms of from a safety standpoint, there is no concern?

GVA said:
However you may not be able to use a steel brush when cleaning the pipe in the future as it may get stuck in the ovalized portion.

where can I get a poly brush. I worry about the steel brush poking thru my flex liner.

DavidV said:
where can I get a poly brush. I worry about the steel brush poking thru my flex liner.

ACE Hardware online sells the eight inch poly for around 13-14 bucks. Delivered to your local ACE store there isn't a shipping charge.

DavidV said:

also check Hart's Hearth and Northline Traders online.

Status
Not open for further replies.