Roxul

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Thank you all for you responses! I have an FPX large flush insert. I installed a block off plate with roxul about 2 years ago and noticed an improved difference. Although I did that, it is an external chimney so it is exposed to the elements. I have some room on top to the block off plate...maybe 2 feet. And I have room in the back, but not too much. I wanted to lay roxul on top of the insert to allow the cold masonry to not soak up the heat from my insert. Thanks!

One thing to keep in mind, there is so many variables in every industry that no one can keep up with every manufactures design it's just to overwhelming, so if something worked on your stove it might not be suitable for another manufactures stove. This is true in all industries. Remember you could take a group of people with the highest level of intelligence put them in a room and they will also disagree and have varying opinions. So take the information you collect here and research to see if it will work for your application. Yes it's a big world and confusing at times. Do the best you can do, have fun and think about what could be unsafe:)

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Thank you all for you responses! I have an FPX large flush insert. I installed a block off plate with roxul about 2 years ago and noticed an improved difference. Although I did that, it is an external chimney so it is exposed to the elements. I have some room on top to the block off plate...maybe 2 feet. And I have room in the back, but not too much. I wanted to lay roxul on top of the insert to allow the cold masonry to not soak up the heat from my insert. Thanks!
If you have insulation above the plate, then I don’t think adding more above the unit will be advantageous. Insulating around the unit, sides and back would be though. Your intake air comes in through the front. At least it was on the last 50 or so I installed.