RTV High Temp Red Sealant smell?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

angled

Oct 5, 2011
Stevensville MD
First, thank you for answering my newbie question!
I have read a few posts about smells but I don't believe my smell is due to new paint or dust. I have a new Morso 1710 insert that I have burned five or six times. I used High Temp RTV red sealant (intermittent at 650 degrees) to seal the connection between the top of the stove and the flex pipe collar and the connection between the flex pipe collar and the flex pipe. The first two burns I got a weird burning paint/sealant type smell so I decided to start off with less wood and I didn't get the smell but tonight I added more wood again on the inital start and the smell came back.

Any recommendations? Should I remove the sealant and try the wood stove cement. The smell is really annoying and Im concerned it may be harmful?

Thank you for your help.

I don't believe the red RTV is for stove temperatures.
I'd worry about the odors, especially if kids had to breath it. I don't like the RTV smell, but after it cures it's ok but on a stove, if you still smell it the next day, it not high enough temp for your application.
I think there is some caulking for stoves but not sure. May check online or a stove store.
Wood stove cement may be a better choice.
Just IMO

bogydave said:
I don't believe the red RTV is for stove temperatures.
I'd worry about the odors, especially if kids had to breath it. I don't like the RTV smell, but after it cures it's ok but on a stove, if you still smell it the next day, it not high enough temp for your application.
I think there is some caulking for stoves but not sure. May check online or a stove store.
Wood stove cement may be a better choice.
Just IMO

Yeah, I looked up the specs on rtv red and intermittent to 650 is pretty low... since some stoves cruise at 600 normally.
It does say it's approved for stove repairs however.

Thanks! I'm going to replace the RTV high temp sealant with the Mill-PAC sealant. Hopefully that will do the trick? Any recommendations on who I should order from?

Once the stove gets nice and hot with red coals the smell goes away. Why would the smell only appear on the initial start with high flames but once the stove is hot with red coals the smell goes away?

Use Rutland furnace cement for the flue collar seal. RTV and Milpac should not be used there. It may be ok on a gas or pellet stove, but not on a wood stove.

Thank you! I have two location where I used the RTV. 1. In the gap covering the fire rope between the wood stove cast iron flue collar and the steel connector/adapter. 2. Between the steel connector/adapter and the actual flex pipe. So if I replace the RTV with Rutland cement at the wood stove cast iron collar that connects to the steel connector should I also remove the RTV that I placed between the steel pipe connector/adapter and the flex pipe?

Where would the mil pac and RTV ever be used on a wood stove?

Thanks again!

Yes, completely remove any RTV or Milpac in this area. It is not meant for high temperature applications like a wood stove.

remove the rtv and go to Home Depot and get a tube of the Rutland 2000* furnace cement as others have said. I picked up a caulking sized tube for $3.50 yesterday.

I used the red RTV when I installed my pipe. It did smell bad the first couple of fires, but soon expanded to fill the cracks and turned grey white as it out gassed completely. All of the external RTV has flaked off, but the RTV in the connections is still holding tight. If it came apart easily, it would have Rutland 2000* in it.

What do you mean? "If it came apart easily, it would have Rutland 2000* in it." Are you saying Rutland 2000* comes apart easily and that is why you used RTV?
Why do some posters on this forum support using RTV at the stove connection and others say not to use it?

angled said:
What do you mean? "If it came apart easily, it would have Rutland 2000* in it." Are you saying Rutland 2000* comes apart easily and that is why you used RTV?
Why do some posters on this forum support using RTV at the stove connection and others say not to use it?

Sorry for causing any confusion. I used the red, expanding RTV because it fills voids when it expands and stinks. There is no air leakage into the chimney system. I also used it per the listed uses on the label. It also creates a heck of a lot of friction, making dis-assembly very difficult. i think that my stainless T is going to be attached to my liner forever because of it.

Having said that, the water based stove cement also fills the voids, allows for relatively easy removal, and it creates no noxious fumes when initially fired. If I ever have to reassemble my chimney system, I will use that instead of the RTV product.

Status
Not open for further replies.