rumbling harman

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK here is my verdict. The door gasket has made a big difference! I can literally say there has never been a seal on this door as I have now since I got the stove NEW a year ago. No air leaks at all. It actually is air suction tight when I open the handle and pull the door open. As for the top of the stove I think I may still have a minor air leak. Not sure what to do since the gasket looks good around the hopper. I might just have to live with it since I really don't get the flutter flame anymore and occassional growl that is really faint at this point when burner it at super high.

The stove is only a year old. I truly never thought the door gasket was installed correctly. I always would get a white wash from a corner or near the handle area when burning the stove. I didn't think much of it since it is my first pellet stove and I really have no experience with pellet stoves. With the new gasket the glass is pefect. No air wash marks from the air being sucked in. This has also helped the rumbling and the flame flicker. What I do find weird is when I open the hopper to load pellets, the flame changes a bit. It has a more consistant flow of air look vs. a strong powerful air flow. That's why I was thinking the tape trick was going to help. It would reduce the air flow to the burnpot, not sure if that's a good thing though. The issue with Harman is 12-18 months ago the demand for pellet stoves was so high, they were pushing stoves through production and they probably lost some quality control. If a gasket is the only issue I can find for a production issue then I really can't complain. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

richg said:
I had this exact same problem and searched high and low for a solution; removing the outside air kit, situtating the pipe so it was slightly off the air intake, cleaning the stove, etc etc etc. While my door gasket looked fine nad passed teh dollar bill test, I replaced it and it solved the problem. $5.00.

Fantastic, problem solved. As to the case of beer you are sending me, Sam Adams would be fine ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.