1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brule1

brule1 New Member

I have a RUMFORD FIRE PLACE in my house,what are my best options for its use as a heat source.Brule

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. spot

spot Member

Fireplaces, in general, are poor heaters. They will heat the immediate area, and may even warm a small room, but probably not a whole house. As far as fireplaces go, a Rumford design is about the best for giving off heat just as it is.

To increase heat output, you could add a "fireback" - a thick cast-iron panel (usually decorative) placed behind the burning wood to throw more heat into the room. The already shallow design of a Rumford may not allow this.

Or you could use an air-circulating log rack, which pulls cool air in the bottom, circulates it behind the fire (heating it up) and out the top.

I have never seen any inserts for Rumfords, but they might be out there.

I recommend leaving it just as it is. Rumfords are fantastic fireplaces and, though rare, they are increasing in popularity.

Just clean the chimney once a year, have the whole thing inspected once in a while, burn safely, and enjoy.
  3. Todd

Todd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Wissota
    I agree with Spot. Maybe consider a hearth stove sitting in front of it.
  4. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Also look around for the fire building technique in a Rumford......I think teepee style works well, or as other said one of those fancy radiant grates....

http://www.gratewalloffire.com/
  5. Harley

Harley Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ashfield, MA
    Brule... is putting a stove on the hearth an option for you? Or are you looking for the best way to use it as a fireplace?
  6. brule1

brule1 New Member

Harley ,I will be already burning wood in my stove ,so I was hoping I could find a propane insert that would fit.
  7. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Look at http://www.gascoals.net

These will look very nice in there!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.