rumford

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brule1

Aug 30, 2006
I have a RUMFORD FIRE PLACE in my house,what are my best options for its use as a heat source.Brule

Fireplaces, in general, are poor heaters. They will heat the immediate area, and may even warm a small room, but probably not a whole house. As far as fireplaces go, a Rumford design is about the best for giving off heat just as it is.

To increase heat output, you could add a "fireback" - a thick cast-iron panel (usually decorative) placed behind the burning wood to throw more heat into the room. The already shallow design of a Rumford may not allow this.

Or you could use an air-circulating log rack, which pulls cool air in the bottom, circulates it behind the fire (heating it up) and out the top.

I have never seen any inserts for Rumfords, but they might be out there.

I recommend leaving it just as it is. Rumfords are fantastic fireplaces and, though rare, they are increasing in popularity.

Just clean the chimney once a year, have the whole thing inspected once in a while, burn safely, and enjoy.

I agree with Spot. Maybe consider a hearth stove sitting in front of it.

Brule... is putting a stove on the hearth an option for you? Or are you looking for the best way to use it as a fireplace?

Harley ,I will be already burning wood in my stove ,so I was hoping I could find a propane insert that would fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.