run away fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whcarr

Hearth Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
northern new york
I have a new avalon arbor, that I am unable to control once I have a the stove over half loaded. details, 25 feet of stainless double wall three years old, used with a small avalon wood stove for two years trouble free, bought new stove installed three weeks ago, checked chimney at that time for creosote, found none. burnt first fire to burn off oders, every thing seemed fine, kept fire going next day loader her up two thirds fuel, and away she went, external temps exceeded 550 degrees (thats as high as my infra red thermometer reads) baby sat for three hours till she burned her self down, contacted dealer they contacted avalon, they sent me a new combustion pack and gaskets, which I had to install, I also installed a chimney dampner at this time, started another fire got every thing warmed up loaded up to two thirds again, closed everything down included the chimney dampner and the fire went wild again, this time I even plugged the air intake vent but could still hear the stove sucking air external stove temps exceeded 550 degrees again, but not to as much of the areas as the first time, thanks the dampner and plugging the vent. any thoughts. any one know what are considered safe unsafe operqting temps. I will be calling my dealer again today, so far they have been helpful but have seemed to expect me to do all the repair work myself. I particulary like the fact that the avalon factory has no way to contact them directly and will not call me to answer questions, I have to call the dealer, he calls them, they call him, he calls me, I call you get the pictures. thnks for any input

whcarr said:
sorry this post was meant for the wood shed forum, bill

Actually it's more of a Hearth Room question, which is where I'll be moving it in a moment....

Just guessing on the problem, but it sounds to me like you might have excessive draft. Do you have any way to get a draft reading on the chimney?

Also are you sure that all the chimney joints are tightly sealed, especially the stove - chimney connection?

Gooserider

How does the gasket look around the stove door? When the fire is rip-roaring, take a bic lighter and move it close to any potential place that could have an air leak. If you see the flame move to one side at a certian area, that could be an airleak.

I wouldn't think 550+ would be a run away fire...that's usually our perfect number. If it is an uncontrollable draft and you can't lock it down with the stove controls at a very last resort you may have to install an inline damper. That's not advisable with the newer EPA stoves but some of us have done that anyway. Consult an expert first.

whcarr said:
external temps exceeded 550 degrees (thats as high as my infra red thermometer reads) baby sat for three hours till she burned her self down

This is a duplicate thread - but note, he only knows he exceeded 550, I'm guessing it was higher if the load only lasted 3 hrs.

Status
Not open for further replies.