Running 6" pipe into 8" insulated pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hank88

Oct 24, 2016
Massachusetts
Hi Folks,

New member here with a question I don't believe has been answered to meet my specific situation. New Englander 13-NC requiring 6" chimney flue. I measured a little over 6" at the clean out door so I believe that is all good.

But the previous stove now removed connected to the 8" insulated horizontal run that goes to the chimney. My first thought was just connect the new stove to the 8" using a reducer and that would be it. But upon advice found on this forum and that of a local chimney sweeper, it seems it might be necessary? or just ideal? to run 6" inside the 8" all the way to the chimney.

If true, is it then necessary to connect the 6" to the flue or just push it inside the 8" up to the chimney?

thanks in advance for any advice.

-Hank

Yes it would be good to run 6" stovepipe to the chimney thimble. Is the 8" chimney a metal stainless steel class A chimney or masonry? How tall?

Yes it would be good to run 6" stovepipe to the chimney thimble. Is the 8" chimney a metal stainless steel class A chimney or masonry? How tall?

Ok, let me clarify a little more. The stove is in one room and there would be black 6" up about 4 feet then right angle to the thimble on the 8" class A pipe which passes thru an interior wall, and runs horizontally about 6' to the chimney.

I hope this picture helps:
Woodstove.jpg

That long horizontal run could lead to draft problems. Is the chimney masonry? If yes, what is the ID? How tall is it?

This combo does not sound good for most EPA stoves. They need decent draft. Without it there is not enough vacuum to pull air through the secondary manifold and out the tubes. This can lead to poor performance and heating. You can try running the 6" all the way to the chimney, but I would not be surprised if the results were not satisfactory. The 13NC needs at least 15 ft of flue and that is straight up. The horizontal run will slow down the flue gases as will the 8" cold outdoor chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.