Running a max caddy on generator

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Cjagt

Jan 27, 2022
Canada
I'm trying to run my max caddy from generator. When plugged in, it cycles up but quicky stops and the blower motor sounds like it's trying to turn but doesn't.

Any thoughts?

Sounds like the genny is either overloaded, or something is not wired right...

Electric motors generally pull about twice their rated amperage at startup, my guess is that your genny is too small. What size generator are you running ?

Should be a simple matter of matching gen output to load. Aside from the above- anything else plugged into the gen? Manual specs a 15a circuit. Which is 1800 watts. But a bit under 400w operating draw.

Are there any electronics on it that might not work with slightly dirty power? Not directly familiar with them.