Running stove during power outage...??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RAKFROMNC

Dec 18, 2010
NC
What is everyones "back-up" plan for when the power is out ? I have heard stories of people connecting up a 12 volt car battery to run the stove for a few hours but that doesn't make sense w/ AC-DC current.....small generator ?

Happy New Year....

RAKFROMNC said:
What is everyones "back-up" plan for when the power is out ? I have heard stories of people connecting up a 12 volt car battery to run the stove for a few hours but that doesn't make sense w/ AC-DC current.....small generator ?

Happy New Year....

Some stoves have the ability to be powered by a deep discharge battery.

Some folks have a battery bank and a pure sine wave inverter.

Others use a generator (must be a pure sine wave and fairly well regulated).

I think the car battery idea is that you use an inverter plugged into the cig lighter that produces 120 volts. Then run an extention cord to your stove. A little extream but it'll work in an emergency.

Some folks also have vent less or direct vent propane heaters.
As well as wood stoves or kerosene heaters.

I live a very short distance to a substation that has multiple feeds, in the 3+ years we've been here the power has gone out twice, once for ten minutes and once for 7 hours. Both times were during the summer. Lightning took out the active feed for the ten minute outage, and a squirrel gave its all for the 7 hour one, they had to get another transformer.

One of these days I'll pull the trigger on a generator, that should make any other power outage occur long after I'd give a hoot.

I went with a generator, so far it has been a life saver, the first year we had 5 days on it, every year since it has been at least an overnight running on it. I got a large enough one to run most of my house, except the toaster, and microwave.

Hello

My backup is the LP Heat & Glo in the livingroom that uses 2 D cells to start the IPI if the power goes out and the pellet stove in the basement is out. However the AC blower will not work so not sure how much heat I will get. We do not loose pwr very often.

Also have the 23k btu Kerosene heater that I use Kleen-Heat for fuel. However it still smells some but really cranks out heat fast!

Fuel
http://fireworkers.tribe.net/thread/dd4cf4bb-a858-4d04-85e4-368b1788e8c0

Attachments

• KeroseneHeater.jpg
    KeroseneHeater.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 337
My setup includes a 7,250 watt (8,250 watt max) generator that uses clean sine alternator technology and produces less than 5% THD (total harmonic distortion) which is computer friendly. This is wired into a Gentran at the main panel and is more than enough to power almost everything in the house that I need. In addition, my pellet stove is plugged into a APC Smart-UPS 1500 which provides me with a minimum of 2 hours of backup runtime and the cleanest 120v power possible to the stove.

watching and learning

My power is dodgy some winters. Every year or two, we are without power for up to 8 days. I have a 12kW automatic standby generator fueled by LP. My stove is on a small UPS that bridges the 10 seconds required for the generator to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.