Running the Blower?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jullom

Dec 29, 2009
Central Indiana
I have a century FW240007 wood stove and it has a blower on the back. I bought it used and it appears if there was a blower switch, it is broke off and i just plug it in to run the blower. My question, is should i always run the blower? Does it make a big difference? We have a small floor fan blowing the cold air from one side of the house towards the stove and have been running the blower all the time. Any thoughts? Thanks.

It really depends on the setup. The blower will help distribute the heat more quickly. If the stove is pointing towards an opening into the cool side of the house it may help. Try it. Wait until the stove is warmed up before switching on the blower. The air over the stove will cool it down significantly.

BeGreen said:
It really depends on the setup. The blower will help distribute the heat more quickly. If the stove is pointing towards an opening into the cool side of the house it may help. Try it. Wait until the stove is warmed up before switching on the blower. The air over the stove will cool it down significantly.

when trying to get the most BTU's out of the stove, would it be beneficial to run the blower all the time?
assuming i am burning 24/7(i am)
my insert is too small for my home, but it was the largest one i could get without investing serious remodeling money .

par0thead151 said:
BeGreen said:

when trying to get the most BTU's out of the stove, would it be beneficial to run the blower all the time?
assuming i am burning 24/7(i am)
my insert is too small for my home, but it was the largest one i could get without investing serious remodeling money .

I run my stove 24/7 and 99% of the time the blower is on and I think it makes a big difference in heating the house and like BeGreen mentioned the heat is much more uniform in fact my upstairs temp usually is within 2 degrees of my downstairs temp.. As I have mentioned before I also feel that a blower can help prolong the life of your stove because it keeps the stove body cooler and helps even out hot spots.. Experiment and see what works for you that is the best solution..

Good Luck!

Ray

Thanks for the information. This site has been a ton of help and is probably the most frequented/posted on forum that i am a part of, it's unbelievable how many and how quickly posts are made. thanks again.

My Olympic always has the blower on low once it gets to real winter temps. I turn the blower up when I need to when we are home or out for a while. When i am not home, the blower is always on low.

In shoulder season burning, my blower is rarely on unless I am having a beach party.

I liked the blower on my blaze king a lot. I ran it for 2 years with the fan on. I recently removed the fan kit as I am living off the grid now and don't want to use the electricity. I run a ceiling fan on low 24-7. The blower fan on my stove was a electrical pig. I have to run the stove a little hot-er now but it is heating the house fine without the fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.