1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Rust inside my Empress

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by srjtr7, Sep 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. srjtr7

srjtr7 Member

Loc:
    Near Boston
    Hi,

I installed my Empress last year and I went to do a full cleaning for this year and noticed rust.

I cleaned the ash pan and firebox weekly last year.....and never saw rust.

Is this normal?

How can I take care of it???

Should I just sand and repiant with HI-Temp paint?

Any suggections would be great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. MCPO

MCPO Minister of Fire

Loc:
    western Ma , close to NY state border
    Its just a bit of surface rust and not much to be concerned about. Especially if the stove in in the basement . You might want to run a dehumidifier in the humid summer months to prevent this but it`s really not a big deal..
    Just spray it with a light coat of WD40 , let it set for a while and wipe it down. The rust should be nearly gone.
  3. mralias

mralias Minister of Fire

Loc:
    MA
    AT the end of the year would it help to spray it with a little WD 40 as well?
  4. srjtr7

srjtr7 Member

Loc:
    Near Boston
    should I spray wd40 on all of the rust? or just the back plates?

If the rust is removed from wall behind the back plates should I paint it to prevent it from rusting again.

Also, wd40 is flamable....should I be concerned about spraying it inside the stove?
  5. seige101

seige101 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Palmer, MA
    Since i just took my stove apart to snap a pic of the control board for another member i am noticing the same surface rust inside mine also. I hit it with a quick blast of wd40 and wiped it down with a rag. I am not worried about the wd40 being flamable, most of it will evaporate before the stove is ran.

Which reminds me after i did an annual cleaning in the spring i was gonna toss a box of silica gel in there to prevent any moisture problems. I think a box of baking soda would do it also during the humid summer months.

Tim
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.