S. NH Only Burn Pine?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in the Canadian Rockies and besides a bit of birch its all coniferous for me! Lodgepole pine is my go to wood during the day, this will last me 6 hours usually, maybe a bit more. I also burn fir that seems to go a bit longer but I could be imagining it because I read its higher btus. My overnight wood reload at 11 pm is larch which will carry me through to my reload in the morning around 8:30.9:30

All that pine seems to leave behind, once it's stopped flaming, is brittle, black charcoal.

Was that pine dry enough? Leftover black charcoal is a sign of wet wood in general. Don't ask me how I know :/.

We burn lots of softwoods here, but no pine, so I am just speaking in general terms. We had a bear of a time with charcoaling last year with not-dry-enough alder. Much better this year so far.

4 weeks? In the kiln?

I get 21 hours of sunshine at the summer solstice. Sun rises 12 degrees east of north at like 3AM, sets about 15 degrees west of north at 11PM. Only gets 48 degrees of elevation at local solar noon. In the winter we get seasonal affective disorder. In the Summer, the un-official diagnosis is seasonal affective attitude.

Any local wood split and stacked on May 15th is ready on July 4th (under 20%MC), the trick here is keeping it dry until heating season once the rain starts in early August.

I'm in NH and would like to hear more about burning hemlock!
It falls in with the rest of the conifers as far as burning goes. I believe it has a very slightly higher BTU rating, but for all intensive purposes, pine, hemlock, spruce, are all very similar in the way that they burn.
I do know that the hemlock in my yard in NH splits a million times easier than the giant white pines I've been picking up road side in CT, and seems less sappy as well. They both burn about the same, but I'll take the hemlock any day over the pine, but I'll take either if they're free for me.

Burning pine is selling your soul to the devil.

If you survive the instant chimney fire then the black hole it creates will suck you up and send the world spinning into the sun. (that's why people say it burns hot)

Ha ha ha. Wish I had 10 cord of the stuff in my basement right now.

I guarantee that more pine burners will be warm this season vs the 'CSS for at least 3 year ' brigade.

Reactions: chance04
Status
Not open for further replies.