Safety chain

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
So, I've thought all along that I was using "safety chain", and had been contemplating experimenting with a more agressive chain on one or all of my saws, based on recommendations made here. Then I picked up this new Husq. T435, and see a chain that is clearly much more "safety" than what I'd been using.

I've been using the Oregon Vanguard 72V chain:

hyv-13250_2z.jpg
(click for full size)

The new T435 came with the following chain:

33SL78.jpg
(click for full size)

I can see why the T435 chain would be called "safety chain", as it would be nearly impossible to get much bite as the chain rounds the nose of the bar. My Oregon 72V chain is referred to in the Oregon literature as an OSHA safe chain, but lacks the raised tie straps of the T435's chain. I think I've also seen this 72V chain advertised as both "semi chisel" and "round chisel".

Can someone educate me?

Thanks!

So, I've thought all along that I was using "safety chain", and had been contemplating experimenting with a more agressive chain on one or all of my saws, based on recommendations made here. Then I picked up this new Husq. T435, and see a chain that is clearly much more "safety" than what I'd been using.

I've been using the Oregon Vanguard 72V chain:

View attachment 69718
(click for full size)

The new T435 came with the following chain:

View attachment 69719
(click for full size)

I can see why the T435 chain would be called "safety chain", as it would be nearly impossible to get much bite as the chain rounds the nose of the bar. My Oregon 72V chain is referred to in the Oregon literature as an OSHA safe chain, but lacks the raised tie straps of the T435's chain. I think I've also seen this 72V chain advertised as both "semi chisel" and "round chisel".

Can someone educate me?

Thanks!

Didn't you just buy a new saw? Go ask your dealer.

That's exactly what we're for.

Your 72V is green-label because of the folded over rakers. A design I don't care for but it works. The T435's chain has the dreaded raised tie-straps, similar to Stihl's RM2 chain they were pushing awhile back.

If you really want that T435 to cook, Stihl has introduced a full-chisel PICCO chain. Ask for a loop of PS3, it's still green label due to the single-humped drive links but that IMO is the least obtrusive type of safety chain. I always liked PM chain as well, that's a semi-chisel, yellow label chain with no safety devices that's tried and true.

EDIT: While you're there.... pick up a loop of RSC (yellow label) or RSC3 (green label) chain for your larger saw(s). Gonna be a big difference from that 72V.

Reactions: Lewiston and ScotO
Thanks! I'll see if they have the PS3 or PM chain to fit that saw when I head back tonight for some other stuff.

The 72V cuts pretty well and throws some big chips, compared to other safety chain I've used. I've never tried a full chisel chain, so I really don't know what I'm missing there.

Try an RMC3 or RMC chain (for the big saws) if you want to stay with semi-chisel. Semi often "wins in the pits" due to tolerating dirty wood much better than full chisel.

Anything is better than raised tie-straps.

Reactions: PA Fire Bug
Thanks! Looks like what I want is some sort of safety chain without the raised tie straps, whether it be a folded rakers, single bump, or something else along those lines. I'll see what the local shop has, since they're right in-line with Bailey's pricing when buying more than one chain at a time.

That's exactly what we're for.

Your 72V is green-label because of the folded over rakers. A design I don't care for but it works. The T435's chain has the dreaded raised tie-straps, similar to Stihl's RM2 chain they were pushing awhile back.

If you really want that T435 to cook, Stihl has introduced a full-chisel PICCO chain. Ask for a loop of PS3, it's still green label due to the single-humped drive links but that IMO is the least obtrusive type of safety chain. I always liked PM chain as well, that's a semi-chisel, yellow label chain with no safety devices that's tried and true.

EDIT: While you're there.... pick up a loop of RSC (yellow label) or RSC3 (green label) chain for your larger saw(s). Gonna be a big difference from that 72V.
A big +1 on this.....well said, MM! I have a loop of that new full chisel PICCO chain on my one old 015 (I converted it to 3/8 drive), that chain really kicks a$$ for the smaller saws. Highly recommended!

and BTW I do (on occasion) buy used green label raised strap chains off of ebay for dirt cheap. When I get them I grind down the raised hump on the tie straps (carefully and slowly, as to not heat up the strap and weaken the metal) and they are what I use in junk/dirty/metal infested wood. Saves the good chains to use in the good stuff!

Oregon 72LPX. Not green label safety chain, but some kick back reduction.
Less aggressive than their LGX.
Husqvarna chains are Oregon chains just different PN.
I use LPX & got a great improvement in cutting speed.
This year I'm trying the Stihl RS, like it so far ;)
I put a Stihl PMC on my 14" low profile saw, much faster cutting.
here are some references that may help:

Stihl SawChainSelection.JPG Sawchian chart.jpg

sawchain.jpg

Stihl RSC for the saws 16" or bigger, & the PS3 for the little one is what I run. Scotty's advice on the green label stuff is good too. I prefer full chisel for anything but stumping, if I get into some dirty wood, I'll just take my ax & clean it off quick. Try a loop of full chisel, & I'll bet you'll never go back. A C

So, I spoke with the owner at the local shop about chains for both the new saws. He's one of these types that doesn't like to steer you one way or another, but will give good advice if you ask enough of the right questions. Shame I rarely know what they are...

Anyway, he is not a fan of the Oregon 72V. Says it cuts great until you get into anything dirty, then it stops. Like some folks here, based on what I said I was looking for, he recommended RSC or RSC3 for the bigger saw. I went with two of the RSC3's.

Before I got to the owner, I had one of his sons recommend the PMC3 chain for the wee little T435, so I also got two of them. Seems to be a similar single bump design to the RSC3.

I know I have to try a full chisel at some point, but right now, I'm willing to give up a little cut speed if it means better safety.

So, I spoke with the owner at the local shop about chains for both the new saws. He's one of these types that doesn't like to steer you one way or another, but will give good advice if you ask enough of the right questions. Shame I rarely know what they are...

Anyway, he is not a fan of the Oregon 72V. Says it cuts great until you get into anything dirty, then it stops. Like some folks here, based on what I said I was looking for, he recommended RSC or RSC3 for the bigger saw. I went with two of the RSC3's.

Before I got to the owner, I had one of his sons recommend the PMC3 chain for the wee little T435, so I also got two of them. Seems to be a similar single bump design to the RSC3.

I know I have to try a full chisel at some point, but right now, I'm willing to give up a little cut speed if it means better safety.
Nothing wrong with that at all, brother. But when the time comes and you use that full chisel for the first time.......>>......you're gonna LOVE IT.....

Oregon 72LPX. Not green label safety chain, but some kick back reduction.
Less aggressive than their LGX.
Husqvarna chains are Oregon chains just different PN.
I use LPX & got a great improvement in cutting speed.
This year I'm trying the Stihl RS, like it so far ;)
I put a Stihl PMC on my 14" low profile saw, much faster cutting.
here are some references that may help:

View attachment 69723 View attachment 69725

View attachment 69724

bogy dave - thanks for this cross reference. its very helpful cuz i've only used stihl chains but want to try some other manufacturers. i also want to change up some of my .325 and picco chains so i went looking around and found a link to the table from bailey's. this is proabably old news to many of you but it cleared up alot of consfusion for me.

http://www.baileysonline.com/saw-chain-cross-reference-chart.asp

OT

You've already crossed the line. RSC3 is full-chisel chain. Unless the nose of the bar is buried it's going to cut darn near as fast as yellow-labeled RSC.

Shoot, I musta been asleep when that full chisel picco came out. I just recently cursed my dad for buying a MS230 just because it had that crappy bar. I wanted him to be able to walk into his dealership and just get new bars and chains, so was slightly peeved that it would be a never ending "order this from baileys" kinda situation.

This just made my day.

Reactions: ScotO
Oh, sorry, forgot to mention. RSC3 is awesome. You will not regret it. Stays sharp, good chip clearing, great balance/vibration.

and BTW I do (on occasion) buy used green label raised strap chains off of ebay for dirt cheap. When I get them I grind down the raised hump on the tie straps (carefully and slowly, as to not heat up the strap and weaken the metal) and they are what I use in junk/dirty/metal infested wood. Saves the good chains to use in the good stuff!
Can you post a picture of a modified green label chain? I have two that came with my saw and bought another because I didn't know one chain from another. Since I now have two yellow label 26RSC74s and three Oregon full chisel 22LPX074G, I don't use the green label chains.I tried to sell them on eBay and at https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...-rapid-micro-comfort-18-inch-saw-chain.86918/ but apparently my price is too high.

Can you post a picture of a modified green label chain? I have two that came with my saw and bought another because I didn't know one chain from another. Since I now have two yellow label 26RSC74s and three Oregon full chisel 22LPX074G, I don't use the green label chains.I tried to sell them on eBay and at https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...-rapid-micro-comfort-18-inch-saw-chain.86918/ but apparently my price is too high.
I'll try to sneak out of the living room project in the morning and get some pics of one. Maybe even show you how I do the modification......don't tell anyone...>>

Reactions: BrianK and PapaDave
"I'll try to sneak out of the living room project in the morning"
Oh no you don't, mister.
Get back in there so we can have some pics. Wait, you're getting pics of chain........uh, carry on.;lol

"I'll try to sneak out of the living room project in the morning"
Oh no you don't, mister.
Get back in there so we can have some pics. Wait, you're getting pics of chain........uh, carry on.;lol
There will be LOTS of pics tomorrow, PD. I have tons of pics from todays adventure. We had the train excursion, and then we went and toured the Gettysburg Battlefields too. What a humbling place. I'll save that for another thread, don't want to hijack this one. Don't worry, she's got her eye on me......:eek: I ain't gettin out of that living room project.....

I went back to using my Echo 510EVL with safety chain this morning, after several weeks playing with my new Stihl 064 AV with RSC3 chain. The safety chain, being sharp, threw nice chips. However, they looked almost miniature next to the chips thrown by the RSC3 on the Stihl.

I was also very disappointed with the stall torque of the 510EVL, after playing with the 064 for the last several weeks. It's amazing how a few weeks with a different saw can really change your perception. I think smokinj has me talked into hunting down a 460, or something else a little bigger than my 510EVL for running a 20" bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.