Safety Concerns

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GabrielHill

Oct 29, 2015
Somerset, KY
I am looking at making my existing chimney into a fireplace (do not want to go into all the details, summary: (opening a hole, installed lintels to support it) so that a wood burning fireplace insert can go into it.

I expressed my concerns about putting an insert directly against regular brick, (not firebrick).

This was the reply I received.

"Yes it will be safe to install a wood burning insert directly against the brick. The insert itself is a sealed unit and the stainless steel liner will attach directly to the insert."

The brand I got quoted for was a Napoleon Oakdale model.

It was my understanding that the firebox would need to be firebrick, or something more resistant than regular brick. I know the ZC fireplace inserts can be installed against almost anything, but I did not think that the wood burning inserts had the same ability.

Just wanted to confirm or deny my thoughts.

t was my understanding that the firebox would need to be firebrick, or something more resistant than regular brick
Nope regular brick will do just fine but you need atleast 8" of masonry before any combustible materials.

I know the ZC fireplace inserts can be installed against almost anything,
No most of them have clearance requirements as well they are just much smaller

Have you considered the much less expensive route of installing the freestanding version of this stove in on a nice hearth and just tapping into the existing chimney?

Reactions: Woody Stover
Nope regular brick will do just fine but you need atleast 8" of masonry before any combustible materials.

Thank you, this is excellent information. Can you point me to some documentation or sources that I can reference? I have been looking all overthe web, but I must be looking in the wrong places.

Does firebrick change the inches of space needed? Behind the brick chimney, is a good 2-3 inches, then a stucco/block wall (which doesn't really concern me).

Does firebrick change the inches of space needed? Behind the brick chimney, is a good 2-3 inches, then a stucco/block wall (which doesn't really concern me).
No you need 8" of solid masonry between the inside of the firebox and any combustible material. It doesn't matter if it is fire brick or not. Here is a link to the applicable code

http://www.rumford.com/code/clearances.html

Status
Not open for further replies.