Safety question on chimney tile condition

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jwwill0

Sep 22, 2015
Kentucky
In the home we recently moved to, the sweep says there are some ledges forming between the clay liner tiles, as well as a few gaps where mortar has fallen out / eroded. Didn't notice any real cracks in the tiles themselves (used a camera). There was not a rain cap at the top.

It is a 20"x20" flue inside a brick chimney. Would this be considered completely unsafe for even small fires for ambiance? I already know I can't really get any heat out of this setup until I get an insert and liner installed, but budget may delay that project.

There really is no way we can answer that question except to err on the side of caution. How long have these defects have been in place? How well was the chimney was built? How close to combustibles is the surrounding brick? How close to pyrolysis is adjacent wood? What is the size of an ambient fire? There are all hard to answer questions over the internet. The sweep has pointed out defects in the flue. It's like being told that the brakes on the car are going and then asking if it would be ok just to take it out for a short trip shopping. If one lives on a mountain with twisty roads one trip could be all it takes for a failure.

No worry, we just want you safe. The question is a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.