Same corner of wood stove gets dirty?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Amin1992

Feeling the Heat
Oct 9, 2019
PA, USA
Hey guys. Just curious why this happens to be honest.

Whenever I burn fires in my wood stove, the glass at the top left corner gets dirty, but the rest stays clean!

This consistently happens every time. Just wondering why it happens and if there's anything I can do to prevent. Doesn't matter type of wood or how I lay it.

Thanks yall

I did do the bill test around and it seemed fine. Would the soot indicate a loose area? Maybe that corner is loose?

Will do tomorrow when she's cooled off! Thanks bud

Would the soot indicate a loose area? Maybe that corner is loose?
Yes, it shows a cooler spot on the glass and creosote starts accumulating there. Also the air was deflector in that spot could be a little out of alignment if its an upper corner.
But check and see with the dollar bill test, or open the door and see if that's the spot were the rope gasket ends together. I use to be a fanatic about keeping the glass 100% clean with my first epa re-burn stove, after going with the bk, I kind of like seeing the glass get dirty, but still staying warm, means I'm burning low and slow and that my cat is still functioning real good with little to no smoke coming out the chimney.

Check the glass gasket. The one on our Castine was not behind the glass in one corner. I loosened up the clamps and tucked it in and that solved the issue. Be careful when retightening the clamps if this is needed. Not too tight!

Thanks for the advice guys! oddly enough, the corner with the soot was the tightest area of the door! Entire gasket is tight and no gaps - dollar bill was difficult to pull in other spots, but almost impossible to pull out at this corner... go figure. Maybe it's because it's still warm outside (high 50s at night) so the draft still isnt ideal. thanks all