Sanity Check: Buying a Used Vermont Casting 0044

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kmobrien

Nov 3, 2014
Stow, MA
Hi all! First time post, although I've been visiting the site for years; hoping I can get a sanity check on a wood stove insert that I'm considering from Craigslist.

I have an 1800 square foot Cape-style home, 2 stories, in central MA. We have a relatively new (2 years old) HE gas boiler for our primary heat, and 2 fireplaces (not pass-through) in the center of the house. I grew up burning wood in a freestanding stove, and have wanted to put an insert into the smaller of the two fireplaces here since we bought the house; my goal is both to have a secondary heat source and keep the gas bills low.

I'm considering a Vermont Casting 0044 unit being sold on Craigslist. It appears to be in very good condition; the seller is an hour and a half away from me, and is asking $850 for it. It comes with the surround and blower.

Is this (a) a reasonable-ish price for this insert, and (b) worth buying? I realize it's an older stove, but I do like the look. Cost is a consideration, as I'll still need to spend another $2800-$3200 (based on quotes from the spring) to put an insulated liner in the chimney.

Attachments

• 00E0E_ljh0EJgSgq3_600x450.jpg
    00E0E_ljh0EJgSgq3_600x450.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 996
First time poster, long time lurker here too! I saw this stove posted a couple days ago. The price is pretty good. You'll find a lot of people who don't like the later VC products, but for the short money, I think it would be just fine. Honestly- if I hadn't already ordered a new cheaper unit (vogelzang colonial), I'd be very temped to grab this one.

As for your liner pricing, that sounds very expensive. Have you considered doing it yourself? Unless you have serious chimney challenges or it's 40' tall, I'd expect you could do the liner for $1000. I'm renting a man lift to do mine, even after the lift cost, I'll be about $700 for a 25' liner... Though I'm not insulating the whole thing. If you're not interested in the DIY option, I'd get a couple more prices. Sounds like they're taking the material cost and doubling it, then adding a full day of labor- obviously if you have chimney or flue alterations, they could be justified in their labor costs.

Thanks for the feedback! Will definitely get some quotes. Would love to DIY it, but weekend time is my only chance to get any woodworking done in the shop.

So, I'm debating between this and purchasing a Summers Heat 50-SNC13i for only a couple of hundred more. I like VC, but given age, I'm not sure if I'm better off going with a newer unit.

It's a complex older fireplace insert, but a decent heater if all is in order. Still, for $850 I would consider getting something newer. For $500, in excellent condition it might be worth a try. Read up on some old threads to learn more about the insert, parts, etc.. If you go to look at it check carefully for cracks, especially around the grate area. Try the blowers, they often are a weak link and should be cleaned and oiled if still working before putting another season on it.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/vermont-castings-fireplace-insert-model-0044.34450/

I was honestly in the same boat, debating on running around and finding a used "nicer" insert or just ordering a new more basic insert. I figured I'd just buy a new one with at least some kind of warranty and give wood burning a try in a new stove- if I like it after a few seasons, I'll keep it. If I want more heat/functionality I'll just order a nicer one then. No spending hours in the car chasing woodstoves all over New England... OR lifting woodstoves into my truck.

I pulled the trigger on the Summers Heat; having it installed in early December. Called around, getting quotes for <$2k; what tipped it over for me was the lack of available maintenance parts for an older unit. I'd rather spend a few hundred more now for a warranty and the ability to fix anything that goes wrong.

Wise decision, congrats, enjoy.

Following up on this, the Englander/Summer's Heat insert went in last week; have had it for a few days now. Haven't had the boiler kick on at any point when it's running, despite a less than ideal layout for the first floor (not an open plan).

Here's the insert being enjoyed on the night it went in; I've since removed the blower, as it was simply noisy and unnecessary.
jZO2p85l.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.