Santa Fe Auger not getting proper voltage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've made some headway. I had a friend recommend another repair guy. I spoke with the repairman on the phone telling him all of the steps I've taken to correct the problem. He agreed to come over and take a look. After following all of the diagnostic steps I had already followed, his only conclusion was that the control box was bad. I told him I had already replaced the control box and it didn't make a difference. He suggested my new control box was bad. I called Ace hardware, the local dealer, and they had another in stock. I bought it, installed it and the stove started working. It's been about a week now and it's working better. Twice, though, I've awakened to a cold house because the stove failed to come on. The thermostat is calling for heat, the red light is lit, but no pellets are in the pot. I hit the reset button and everything works as it should.

So, I'm glad it works 95% of the time but I'm still not sure why it fails to start at times.

Have you verified the appliance is completely grounded. I had my Fe apart for 3 hours today with another engineer and verified it was not grounded properly which can easily short a circuit board.Check the wiring diagram where the ground is supposed to connect at the thermocouple connection in the junction box - this ground probably is not there.

Did your new control box come with a set of connector wires? It should have an additional ground between the thermocouple connection and the ground screw on the chassis on the right hand side.

Poor wiring QC by Quad in my opinion.

I did notice a set of wires that came with the new control box. Wasn't sure what they were for. I'll have to go back and check if there needs to be a ground wire connected..

I've made some headway. I had a friend recommend another repair guy. I spoke with the repairman on the phone telling him all of the steps I've taken to correct the problem. He agreed to come over and take a look. After following all of the diagnostic steps I had already followed, his only conclusion was that the control box was bad. I told him I had already replaced the control box and it didn't make a difference. He suggested my new control box was bad. I called Ace hardware, the local dealer, and they had another in stock. I bought it, installed it and the stove started working. It's been about a week now and it's working better. Twice, though, I've awakened to a cold house because the stove failed to come on. The thermostat is calling for heat, the red light is lit, but no pellets are in the pot. I hit the reset button and everything works as it should.

So, I'm glad it works 95% of the time but I'm still not sure why it fails to start at times.
Was there any unburned pellets in pot that would indicate a false start?

It still sounds like your capacitor on your auger could be bad. For $15 it's worth putting a new one in line.

Just out of curiosity how did you measure the 0.5 volts you posted in your initial post? From where to where did you measure and was the meter on AC?

Status
Not open for further replies.