Saturday splitting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohio woodburner

Feeling the Heat
Oct 4, 2009
NW Ohio
I had some red oak that needed splitting so i thought today would be a good day. Not so. To dang warm, it was about 35 out and by time i was done i was down to a t shirt. Thought I'd snap a few pictures. Well next thing you know my maul thought it was in Wisconsin :lol:

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 653
Ha ha ha! I love it!

ohio woodburner said:
I had some red oak that needed splitting so i thought today would be a good day. Not so. To dang warm, it was about 35 out and by time i was done i was down to a t shirt. Thought I'd snap a few pictures. Well next thing you know my maul thought it was in Wisconsin :lol:

Mauls of the world, UNITE!, and stand up for yourselves! :)

Downwind of freshly split redoak = nasty smelling air.

WB

My hat is off to you,,, splitting red oak with a maul. I,m getting a little old for that stuff and we have a lot of oak here in N.C. Thank God for my Wallenstein splitter.

Beats the heck out of a gym membership. Now after the workout, look what you have,
A beautiful pile of split wood.
You earned an MGD.
Great picture.
Now we want to see the picture of it all stacked up. ;)

WOODBUTCHER said:

WB

Not at all Woodbutcher! Red oak smells good. Actually there are very few woods that are bad smelling.

thenorth got any pics of the shed without the canvass? Thanks brother.

Stihl Country said:
My hat is off to you,,, splitting red oak with a maul. I,m getting a little old for that stuff and we have a lot of oak here in N.C. Thank God for my Wallenstein splitter.

That red oak split nice and easy. I started on some cherry i had this morning but as you see no pics. :) I might have to start the splitter for that cherry :lol:

WOODBUTCHER said:

WB

Really? Man i love the smell of that.

WOODBUTCHER said:

WB

As others have said, I kinda like it too. What I don't like is it seems to attact bees/ yellow jackets, which makes cutting and splitting fun.

Archie, that is one more reason to cut in winter. I do the splitting and stacking in early spring and then just leave the wood for a few years. The bees and yellow jackets don't bother me a bit....nor do the skeeters and other flying and biting insects.

I find that most of the oak I split with a maul comes apart very easy, especially when you get into a tree that had a nice long, straight run up to the canopy.

Status
Not open for further replies.