Saturdays Haul

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Found a farmer simply pushing over trees for more grass to grow for his cattle. Hes clearing 300 acres simply drive up cut leave branches where they fall and only take the wood i want. This is the second weekend ive cut i figure ive got 1-1/2 -2 cords on the 6x16 trailer and the bed of the truck.

Attachments

• AAwoodsmall.JPG
    AAwoodsmall.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 715
Sounds like quite a deal for you. I hate to see that kind of acreage of trees being destroyed for grazing, but it is what it is. Good haul.

Edit: what flavor of wood is it?? Maple..maybe?

Nice trailer too... sounds like you have an opportunity to get a few years ahead Constrictor. Good find

OOps i forgot to mention its cadillac wood, White oak all from one tree, it was a 34" oak and this load is only half of the tree! and the trailer is a recently aquired $250.00 craigslist special:)

Whoops! Man was I way off. I thought the wood was too yellow for White Oak (being freshly cut)

Nice find on the trailer too!!

Thanks, there is absolutely no mistaking the smell of fresh cut white oak. That acid smell, i love it!

Maybe I'm dumber than I look and I admit that it is just awfully difficult to tell what type of wood something is by looking at a picture. However, right in the front of that trailer I see a couple blocks of white ash, not white oak. The rest is just too hard to tell in a picture.

Backwoods Savage said:
Maybe I'm dumber than I look and I admit that it is just awfully difficult to tell what type of wood something is by looking at a picture. However, right in the front of that trailer I see a couple blocks of white ash, not white oak. The rest is just too hard to tell in a picture.

Yea thats what i was thinking, plus the piece on top has a dark heartwood. Kinda like Poplar.

Anyways nice score ! on the free wood

I don't see any ash and for sure no poplar! Nice find on the Oak! :)

Guys trust me its all white oak and all from the same tree, and i have another load all bucked up and ready to go, should be the same amount still from the same tree! I dont know many kinds of wood but i know red and white oak. Worked in a cabinet shop 25 years.

NitroDave said:
Constrictor said:
Guys trust me its all white oak and all from the same tree,

Sorry...don't believe you...why don't you drop off a trailer load to me for testing and identification. :p

Sweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.