1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Sausage making day

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by lowroadacres, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Eatonpcat

Eatonpcat Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eaton Township, Ohio
    Very nice!!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. shmodaddy

shmodaddy Burning Hunk

Loc:
    So IL
    We really don't have a recipe for say ....we buy bulk brat seasoning from local butcher then add other ingredients to taste. We use "restricted " melt cheese from Bongards creamery . Its the cheapest we've found shipped to our door and they have several flavors also. Look them up on the internet they don't advertise the restricted melt cheese there you have to call but it is oh sooo gooood.

Sent from my rooted and eclipse running X2--thanks nitro--
  3. ScotO

ScotO Guest

dammit that looks right fine, there!
  4. ScotO

ScotO Guest

shmodaddy, that's shmo shmoker than I have ever seen on wheels! probably fit around 4 pigs and 4 deer (and countless beer can chickens) in that bad boy AT THE SAME TIME!
  5. granpajohn

granpajohn Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Maryland
    Could some of you experts comment on the use of natural pork casing -vs- colagen style?
    We've always used natural, (purchased), but it is extra effort to rinse, soak, load on stuffer, and put up with the various holes and tears. So, have been thinking of switching.
    (I see from the photos that both types are used here)
  6. shmodaddy

shmodaddy Burning Hunk

Loc:
    So IL
    Lol yes it has 12 ft of cooking surface By 4ft wide! We have put 75 ribs in it on one cook and 400 brats later that day! 35 ribs and 24 halves of chickens on it one day and still had room but our very first cook on it we put 69 - 7to 8lb pork butts on it!! We said some prayers that morning but it cooked them great for 24 hrs. Slow and low is the name of the game for that thing

ScotO likes this.
  7. shmodaddy

shmodaddy Burning Hunk

Loc:
    So IL
    Some pics loaded with meat. Chicken n ribs my favorite!

Attached Files:

Eatonpcat, Thistle and ScotO like this.
  8. ScotO

ScotO Guest

you sunnofagunn, you.....now I'M HUNGRY! [​IMG]
    Eatonpcat likes this.
  9. Seasoned Oak

Seasoned Oak Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    One of my favorite foods ,wish it was a bit healthier.
    Thistle likes this.
  10. CageMaster

CageMaster Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Canada
    natural casing is the only thing we use....tried the synthetic, not as good imo
    jeff_t and Eatonpcat like this.
  11. shmodaddy

shmodaddy Burning Hunk

Loc:
    So IL
    ^^^^^^^^
    X1000

We started out making brats with a group of guys at a mutual friends house and he kept inviting more and more people. Ended up having 12 r so opinions on how stuff should be made, it became a real clusterF real quick so three of spun off and started our own thing and haven't look back since. The three of us Help each other grind, mix, and stuff their brats how ever they want. Works out great and our wifes help package the brats in vac bags. They bag, vac, then date each bag , it really us a good time enjoyed by all. Our first year we spun off we tried the collagen casings and did not like those at all. All nat-ur-al is the only way to go. Just gotta love that "POP" when you bite! Can't get that with synthetic.