Saw buck ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
MMaul said:
Then there will be no question when I win.

LOL what you do put NOS on that 361,you know I will be bringing the 460 with 16in. bar!!!!! "run what you brung" lol
I call it the Big Block "if you will"

Maybe I'll have to add some octane booster to the gas.

MMaul said:
Maybe I'll have to add some octane booster to the gas.

Better bring the whole bottle and not the cheap stuff

maybe a can of Cam2

MMaul said:
maybe a can of Cam2

that will work but we have to use the same fuel to make it =

ok 2nd saw horse built its a 2 X and same size as the other, can put them two together or apart.

I got this idea from someone on the forum. Works great and less work to build (assuming you have extra pallets).

Attachments

• pallet rack 1.jpg
    pallet rack 1.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 422
  • pallet rack 2.jpg
    pallet rack 2.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 414
stejus said:
I got this idea from someone on the forum. Works great and less work to build (assuming you have extra pallets).

That looks good

buck most of my wood on the forks of a new holand tractor or the ground with a bit of practice you can feel the difference between wood and bark with your saw and sharpening intervals will not be affaected anymore
you must become one with the saw. :-/

Hi There,
Had a little time today, so I made a collapsible one for $5.80. Works like a champ, but I forgot to take pics while cutting--sorry.

S

Attachments

• 1122091504.jpg
    1122091504.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 337
  • 1122091500.jpg
    1122091500.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 355
thinkxingu said:
Hi There,
Had a little time today, so I made a collapsible one for $5.80. Works like a champ, but I forgot to take pics while cutting--sorry.

S

Thats take it one more step. I like it.

I've got a real 'dummy question' on using a sawbuck: Doesn't your wood bind right after the cut? I just put a log under what I'm cutting...

Shari

No it doesn't. I don't make my cut in the middle, I cut right close to, and to the left of the supports. The right side falls away and on the last cut the left side falls toward the saw. It all works out in the end.

I tried using a sawbuck, but to be honest for me it was too much work. Picking up the 4 footer and putting it on the sawbuck and then cutting it . . . I now cut right on the ground and do the cut and roll technique or throw down the wood on to the firewood I've already bucked up.

Shari said:
I've got a real 'dummy question' on using a sawbuck: Doesn't your wood bind right after the cut? I just put a log under what I'm cutting...

Shari

Shari - look at my 2nd picture (side view). If you look close, there are 4 markings (every 16 inches). I mark these ahead of time so there's no guessing.

Cut 1 - Right side first and this falls to the ground.
Cut 2 - Left side and this drops into place
Cut 3 - Right middle and these two drop into place.

Remove three logs and reload with next 64" peice for cutting making sure the right side has enough overhang to drop after cutting.

Ths is my first year using a saw buck and it really makes the whole process quicker and a lot easier on your back.

Shari, let us know how that works out for you. Make it tall enough so you can fit under it to retrieve the bucked rounds that fall through the slats, or low enough so can reach through the slats.

LL - might take awhile - I bummed up a muscle in my forearm lifting rounds a week or so ago - couldn't even carry in a bucket of kindling with that arm today - ugh!

Shari

I have a simple one like this:
index.php

but I only use it for small trees and branches that would be inconvenient to cut on the ground.
easier would be someone holding and feeding forward the same small stuff on a stump

Status
Not open for further replies.