Saw buck ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinj

Minister of Fire
Aug 11, 2008
Anderson, Indiana
Finally have the time any tips to make this thing more user friendly? I have treated decking and a few treated 2x6.

Do you plan to build a traditional X style? If so, consider making it asymmetric with shorter legs on the operator side so they don't get in the way of your feet and shorter top on the operator side so you don't have to lift the logs so high. Taper the tops of the X so that it can hold more wood.

LLigetfa said:
Do you plan to build a traditional X style? If so, consider making it asymmetric with shorter legs on the operator side so they don't get in the way of your feet and shorter top on the operator side so you don't have to lift the logs so high. Taper the tops of the X so that it can hold more wood.

ok right now I have 6 44in. legs getting ready to do the X's so I am 5'11 ave I guess Iam thinking the bottom of the top side of X sould be about 29in. or maybe lower?

My sawbuck is made with 44" long 4x4 that I half lapped near the middle. I made the lap too high at 26" from the ground to the top of the lap so the top half is smaller than the bottom half. I thought it would be better for the base to have a wide stance for stability but it was a mistake as I keep kicking the bottom of the legs. I did put the horizontal brace on the inside at least so I don't have that in my way.

There was not enough room on the inside top where it holds the wood, so I gouged out the inside by tapering them down to 2" at the top.

LLigetfa said:
My sawbuck is made with 44" long 4x4 that I half lapped near the middle. I made the lap too high at 26" from the ground to the top of the lap so the top half is smaller than the bottom half. I thought it would be better for the base to have a wide stance for stability but it was a mistake as I keep kicking the bottom of the legs. I did put the horizontal brace on the inside at least so I don't have that in my way.

There was not enough room on the inside top where it holds the wood, so I gouged out the inside by tapering them down to 2" at the top.
yep you put me on the right track I measured from the ground to the bottom of my bar at full extension and came up with 23in. that's where I put the it and there is more room for wood! good call....

Ok got the X's done now for 18in. lengths the supports should be 37 in. long to compinsate for the X in the middle?

Times running out better get them done.

smokinjay said:
Ok got the X's done now for 18in. lengths the supports should be 37 in. long to compinsate for the X in the middle?
Assuming you are using 2X stock and not 4X like I did, your stock is more like 1-1/2 thick. allowing for the saw kerf, I would make the supports 18+1.5+.5+18=38"

[edit]had to check my math.

MMaul said:
Times running out better get them done.

yes it is and will be done to day!

LLigetfa said:
smokinjay said:
Assuming you are using 2X stock and not 4X like I did, your stock is more like 1-1/2 thick. allowing for the saw kerf, I would make the supports 18+1.5+.5+18=38"[/quote

I am using 1x6 decking for the legs and 2x6 for support I'll take the half's off the measurement and should put me on target

OK, revised... assuming dressed 5/4 decking which is actually 1".

18+1+.5+18=37.5”

LLigetfa said:
OK, revised... assuming dressed 5/4 decking which is actually 1".

18+1+.5+18=37.5”
dead on again 18in. dead on its done and all 6 legs levell after doing 3 X's 4 X's may have been better but this will be easy to throw in the truck as well Thank You LLigetfa! the heights perfect and the 18in. spot on. I'll post pic after I grind down some long screws

smokinjay said:
4 X's may have been better but this will be easy to throw in the truck as well...
When I put longer pieces on my sawbuck, I set the first piece just past even with the far end, put my hand on the log at the near end, and then pick it up and shift it over one or two positions so that there's wood hanging out both ends. I'll then just eyeball those cuts that are hanging beyond.

LLigetfa said:
smokinjay said:
4 X's may have been better but this will be easy to throw in the truck as well...
When I put longer pieces on my sawbuck, I set the first piece just past even with the far end, put my hand on the log at the near end, and then pick it up and shift it over one or two positions so that there's wood hanging out both ends. I'll then just eyeball those cuts that are hanging beyond.

yep it sure fill sturdy enough Thanks for the help! Now the race is on.Should be a lot better working off of the buck rather than the ground and save on the chain sharpening.....back and much more consistent lengths

I think you need to make 2 for the race.

MMaul said:
I think you need to make 2 for the race.

lol video and stop watch will tell the story and slow motion if need be! Its very solid and the height is perfect Thanks to LLigetfa

Two side by side that would be a good video. So it will be clear how bad I beat you.

MMaul said:
Two side by side that would be a good video. So it will be clear how bad I beat you.

lol it will be clear 10 mega pixels clear,you get chaps?

Yep, used them yesterday, cut up a small walnut tree. I have a question but think I will start a new post.

MMaul said:
Yep, used them yesterday, cut up a small walnut tree. I have a question but think I will start a new post.
getter started

I have a silly ???. If people want us to look at their pics, why do they post them on a restricted site where everybody can't look at them?
Al

lobsta1 said:
I have a silly ???. If people want us to look at their pics, why do they post them on a restricted site where everybody can't look at them?
Al
Its not resticked its face book and I tried for about hour to load it here first,it was the best i could do....ok Iam at my work computer

Here's another one...Think I will make another one 2- X 's and use them together or apart and yes Arron there will be 2 saw bucks for the RACE

Attachments

• 666666666666.bmp
    401.1 KB · Views: 397
Then there will be no question when I win.

Status
Not open for further replies.