Saw something interesting today, the ash wasn't wasn't falling off the burn platform

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

haff99

Jan 15, 2015
pennsylvania
Lopi AGP insert is the insert in question

First time I saw this. Got up this morning, and went to fill the stove. Normally the ash falls off the burn platform as soon as it reaches the end of the platform, maybe it'll extend out a half inch or so before it falls(usually on the sides never in the middle). When I looked in the ash was nearly touching the end the door, maybe about an inch away on the left side of the burn platform. It was a good 3-4 inches long. It was like a diving board hanging in mid air. At first I thought it was like a solid piece of ash. I shut the stove down and touched the ash and it immediately fell and broke apart. It was like it was held together just enough to give it enough strength to over come gravity lol. I cleaned the burn pot, no clinkers or anything just normal ash there. Anyways, it was causing any problems but it looked interesting. I should have taken a pic.

Lopi AGP insert is the insert in question

First time I saw this. Got up this morning, and went to fill the stove. Normally the ash falls off the burn platform as soon as it reaches the end of the platform, maybe it'll extend out a half inch or so before it falls(usually on the sides never in the middle). When I looked in the ash was nearly touching the end the door, maybe about an inch away on the left side of the burn platform. It was a good 3-4 inches long. It was like a diving board hanging in mid air. At first I thought it was like a solid piece of ash. I shut the stove down and touched the ash and it immediately fell and broke apart. It was like it was held together just enough to give it enough strength to over come gravity lol. I cleaned the burn pot, no clinkers or anything just normal ash there. Anyways, it was causing any problems but it looked interesting. I should have taken a pic.
With mine, the ashes start to form right in the middle and the sides are almost empty. It builds up and goes back into the burn pot. I have to shut down every 8or 9 hours, or burn on low so I can get in and knock the hill down. It piles up quickly with high ash pellets.

I think the ashes build up on the sides since the auger on my stove is right in the middle. The ash on the side encounters friction from the burn platform plus most of the force of the pellets coming out is in the middle, that is why I think the ash for me builds up on the sides.

Oh your ash as it dumps into the pan forms a mound in the center? Yeah the center builds up faster then the sides, but I never had the ash back up into the platform yet. I usually stop after 24 hours of so out of paranoia to clean the platform and such. Never had an issue after 8-9 hours, even on high. I routinely go 24 hours without any issues, though i can start to see the ash mound up, especially in the center. I didn't realize you had the same insert at first.

Last edited:
Sometimes mine has an ash tongue too. It eventually falls. As far as the typical ash pattern, mine usually falls off the front left side of the burn grate and will pile up in the pan immediately below. Even the ashes in the pan out and I'm good for another week.

Status
Not open for further replies.