Saws Ready

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Took the day off other then cleaning the saws plus sharpening one chain. I put the handle back on the 660 (take it off for milling) with the twenty five inch bar, might go after this hung up Hemlock tomorrow depending on how the footing is.

zap

Attachments

• 100_4292.jpg
    100_4292.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 427
  • 100_4282.jpg
    100_4282.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 404
  • 100_4281.jpg
    100_4281.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 415
  • 100_4283.jpg
    100_4283.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 399
southbound said:
saws look great... lot cleaner then mine!

Just been running the 390 lately, the 660 was dirty fom milling a few weeks back, the 390 needed cleaning bad. I usely take the air compressor to the saws after I get back from cutting.

It was crappy in the woods today ( I stayed out) with all the snow melting off the trees it was like rain.

zap

They look good.....Been cleaning my 880 for a week now still got it broke down. Parts in the diswasher as I type. Before it goses back together I will hit any hot spots with carb cleaner.

smokinjay said:
They look good.....Been cleaning my 880 for a week now still got it broke down. Parts in the diswasher as I type. Before it goses back together I will hit any hot spots with carb cleaner.

What parts do you clean in the dishwasher?

zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:

What parts do you clean in the dishwasher?

zap

Air filter cover, sprocket cover, top or jug cover.

Bigg_Redd said:
I have never cleaned a chainsaw

How about multiple saws.

zap

Something wrong with a clean chainsaw.

Used the DW myself a time or two. Works good.

what do you guys do to most effectively clean the paper type air filters that are found on saws like my sthil?

Dieselhead said:
what do you guys do to most effectively clean the paper type air filters that are found on saws like my sthil?

On my Poulan Super 380 there's a pleated very fine mesh nylon filter with a sheet of foam that goes over it & on the 288XPW it has the high performance pleated tall filter.I use compressed air to clean both.

southbound said:
you can clean all of it in there..

I would be a dead man.

I can't say I really clean my saw other than to wipe off excess spilled oil or dig out the lion's share of the crud from the sprocket cover. So many nooks and crannies in that piece.

Bigg_Redd said:
zapny said:
Bigg_Redd said:

How about multiple saws.

zap

I don't even know anyone who has cleaned a saw

Probally the wrong thread for you then...Milling saw go Booom! with out cleaning.

smokinjay said:
Bigg_Redd said:
zapny said:
Bigg_Redd said:

How about multiple saws.

zap

I don't even know anyone who has cleaned a saw

Probally the wrong thread for you then...Milling saw go Booom! with out cleaning.

+1 And doing regular cutting it will eventually also.

Thistle said:
smokinjay said:

So, please explain for those of use who don't do more than a token wipedown of our saws. Not busting your chops, I'm seriously wondering why you put effort into cleaning your saw. Frankly, I can't see getting it super clean without a dunk in the parts washer and who knows what those chemicals will do to the plastic cases.

babzog said:
Thistle said:
smokinjay said:

So, please explain for those of use who don't do more than a token wipedown of our saws. Not busting your chops, I'm seriously wondering why you put effort into cleaning your saw. Frankly, I can't see getting it super clean without a dunk in the parts washer and who knows what those chemicals will do to the plastic cases.

I can get on spotless. Now the big thing if you cooling fins gets clog up your going to blow it. Cleaning also gives you chances to find problem not to mention a clean saws worth more!

babzog said:
Thistle said:
smokinjay said:

My 034 survived the parts washer just fine. The saw was a true dirt ball when I got it. It does matter what solvent is in there tho. Keeping under the sprocket covers and around the cylinder cooling fins is the critical stuff. The rest is more aesthetics but I think it's kind of a mental thing, it's clean or it ain't, ya know? ;-P As long as the saw isn't covered in oil the chips/dust won't stick, sharp chains produce big chips that don't stick/clog as well, and saws that start out clean tend to wind up cleaner in the end too. ;-)

babzog said:
Thistle said:
smokinjay said:

I dont dunk it or wash it,but at the end of every cutting session whether 30 minutes or 8 hrs I DO pop the cover,blow out the air cleaner,carb & everything else with the air compressor.

Only takes 5 minutes,if its really bad no more than 10.No crud,dust,chips etc are in the cylinder fins,recoil starter or clutch/sprocket area. I do the same thing with my wormdrive skilsaw & other machinery in my cabinet/woodturning shop.When you have thousands of dollars in equipment that you depend on either to help keep you warm and/or provide an income,you tend to be particular about keeping them clean & well maintained.

Thistle said:
babzog said:
Thistle said:
smokinjay said:

I dont dunk it or wash it,but at the end of every cutting session whether 30 minutes or 8 hrs I DO pop the cover,blow out the air cleaner,carb & everything else with the air compressor.

Only takes 5 minutes,if its really bad no more than 10.No crud,dust,chips etc are in the cylinder fins,recoil starter or clutch/sprocket area. I do the same thing with my wormdrive skilsaw & other machinery in my cabinet/woodturning shop.When you have thousands of dollars in equipment that you depend on either to help keep you warm and/or provide an income,you tend to be particular about keeping them clean & well maintained.

Yep Yep North of a grand its pretty wise. (Or less lol) Heck my 192t next!

I clean all mine and all my customers saws with a hose and hot water after a good spray down with simple green. I then place them on the bar tip for a few hours while my shop fan dries them off.

They cant believe its the same saw when i return them.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.