Scheduling chimney cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HollowHill

Minister of Fire
Oct 29, 2009
Central NY
My wood stove, a Progress Hybrid, was just installed Dec. 8. For the first 2 weeks, I ran during the days and let it die out around 7 or so. Lately, I've been trying to run it more 24/7. I've scheduled a chimney cleaning for Jan 17 with the idea I'll see how much creosote I've got and then schedule future cleanings based on that. Does that sound about right or should I be getting a cleaning earlier? Because the stove pipe (new install in 15 year old chimney) takes a bend at the smoke shelf, the installers said I won't be able to check the chimney from below. The wood I'm burning now is seasoned for 18 months and is various hardwoods (not oak). I've got about a cord and 1/2 of that left. Then I will be getting into wood that has been down for 18 months (tops), but has only been css since late May, early June. Again, various hardwoods (a lot of silver maple), not oak. Since the chimney cleanings are $150 a pop, I'd like to limit the number I do, but I don't want to be negligent, either. Recommendations?

I would see what you get from the first cleaning. I do mine once a year if that. Some say the type of wood makes a difference but I think it does only because of the temperature the wood generates. I just posted in another thread "I burn hot". I go through a bit more wood but the hotter you burn the cleaner the emissions. The amount of temperature is maybe on average 100 degrees hotter. Say you have stove top temps around 500, I'll go 575-600. I still have soot just not as much.

I do it myself just buy in my case 2 or 3 4 foot fiberglass rods with 1/4" thread and a steel or poly brush and go to town.

I cleaned mine yesterday wich was exactly 1 month of burning straight through. Cleaned the inside of the stove where the flue

is located vacumed it out and came about 3" high by 5 or 6" wide of soot. Now mind you I should have started with some

kindling every morning but I didnt but none the less not too bad for one month.

P.S the single wall pipe had more creasote than the double insulated s.s that goes through the attic to the outside just had

a very thin film thats it. So not to bad...

HollowHill said:
My wood stove, a Progress Hybrid, was just installed Dec. 8. For the first 2 weeks, I ran during the days and let it die out around 7 or so. Lately, I've been trying to run it more 24/7. I've scheduled a chimney cleaning for Jan 17 with the idea I'll see how much creosote I've got and then schedule future cleanings based on that. Does that sound about right or should I be getting a cleaning earlier? Because the stove pipe (new install in 15 year old chimney) takes a bend at the smoke shelf, the installers said I won't be able to check the chimney from below. The wood I'm burning now is seasoned for 18 months and is various hardwoods (not oak). I've got about a cord and 1/2 of that left. Then I will be getting into wood that has been down for 18 months (tops), but has only been css since late May, early June. Again, various hardwoods (a lot of silver maple), not oak. Since the chimney cleanings are $150 a pop, I'd like to limit the number I do, but I don't want to be negligent, either. Recommendations?

I clean twice a heating season, started that our first year burning (wood was seasoned 6 - 8 months) so even though our wood is seasoned 1-3 years I still do it for our own comfort.

zap

For a new installation I usually recommend a sweep at least once a cord until you have established the need for more or less cleanings. There can be a really wide variance in deposits depending on how cold the flue is, the wood burned, and how the stove is run. I think checking it mid-January is a good plan.

I will be sweeping this weekend even though it will be just over 3 weeks since install. I actually want to kill my curiosity. Being a new stove owner, id say the first week I didn't know what I was doing, temps for the week weren't hot enough, glass got all dirty, even though I'm positive wood was seasoned. I will create a new thread when I do, and will take pics.

HollowHill, I can understand why you do not want to do the cleaning yourself. There is some serious climbing involved there! As for the time, from what I remember about your wood, I'd say you could go longer before the cleaning but do whatever allows you peace of mind. But I'm betting with your stove you will not have a problem. If you start seeing a lot of black glass then for sure beware and do check it. But I'm betting the first time those guys come to clean the chimney they won't get much at all and that will be super great.

Status
Not open for further replies.