1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Score and an ID

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by onion, Jul 11, 2012.

1. onion

onion Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Ohio
    Local tree company needs to clean up their yard

[​IMG]

I think I can help. Girl there said they'll have wood all summer and I am welcome to it as long as I come during business hours (not ideal since it is an hour from home but only 1/2 hour from work).

Loaded up the truck today on my first visit. Next time I'll bring the trailer and some friends!

Anyone have a guess on what this is? There weren't many leaves and those that were there were pretty dried up but they looked like Beech. I loaded my truck completely with stuff from this tree.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    I'd say some kind of Ash judging by how straight it split.Almost never see any American/White/Pi** Elm split like that,even straight grained pieces.Even though the bark can be similar sometimes..Beech has smooth bark with no ridges,scales or bumps.Even very large old specimens.

Looks like you hit the jackpot there.
  3. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Your first pic looks like pine and maple. The second pic and the split look like ash.
  4. onion

onion Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Ohio
    Yeah there is a lot of pine in the big pile. I'm not opposed to burning pine but I'll take the hardwoods over it. Ash makes sense and I'm not sure why I didn't think of it. Lots more from that tree for me to get tomorrow and Friday.
  5. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Pine and white ash. Get all that ash you can get.

Notice the telltale sucker on that one ash in picture two. The ash will send these little suckers out after they are attacked. The tree begins to die and so it sends new growth to try to heal itself. It doesn't work as they will die anyway. Some of the ash we've cut haven't had too many but most have lots of these little suckers.
  6. tfdchief

tfdchief Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Tuscola, IL
    Well, other than the ash split, hard to tell from the pic, but wow, that's a lot of easy wood. I would get all of that that I could.....the good stuff first of course.;)