SCORE! Man am I tired...lol

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eclecticcottage

Minister of Fire
Dec 7, 2011
WNY
Yesterday we passed a pile of pine right down the road, so we went back and asked what they were doing with the wood. They said we could have it. 10 standing dead scotch pine, all down and partly bucked. Grabbed a few loads but had plans so we went back this morning. We were bucking it down and loading when they came back-and took down three more! Took a few hours, but we've added 13 beetle kill pines to the scrounge stack. Nice and dry too, very light. We could proably even burn this next season.

AND they have at least 10 more to take down later too. Ours for the taking.

Here's the scrounge pile for this year-started Chistmas eve. It's about 5' high in the middle and at least 20' long. Gonna be busy come sping!

Attachments

• woodwardthumbs34.jpg
    woodwardthumbs34.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 845
eclecticcottage said:
Yesterday we passed a pile of pine right down the road, so we went back and asked what they were doing with the wood. They said we could have it. 10 standing dead scotch pine, all down and partly bucked. Grabbed a few loads but had plans so we went back this morning. We were bucking it down and loading when they came back-and took down three more! Took a few hours, but we've added 13 beetle kill pines to the scrounge stack. Nice and dry too, very light. We could proably even burn this next season.

AND they have at least 10 more to take down later too. Ours for the taking.

Here's the scrounge pile for this year-started Chistmas eve. It's about 5' high in the middle and at least 20' long. Gonna be busy come sping!

Nice pile of btu's, I see you made it through the wind storm.

zap

Yup, lost a few shingles and it blew out a window (literally, right out of the track, but it didn't break). A neighbor lost a gutter and some shingles, but that seems to be it around us. Was quite the storm, glad we were home though because I would have been worried about it all day if we weren't!

Nice pile of wood you got.

A lot of btu's.

Nice pile of wood. Time to start splitting and stacking?

Yup. Thasalotawood! Nice job.

That's a big pile O wood! I have at least a dozen dead scotch pines I need to deal with, if you were closer I'd give you bunches. :lol: One of my neighbors has an outdoor boiler he will get a lot of it, I'll save some for myself.

someone's gonna be busy splittin real soon.....haha.....nice score!!

Neither of us is overly fond of the cold and we have to build racks, so splitting and stacking will be this spring. In that pile, there is willow, pine, maple and a few pieces of unknown wood. It's at least 20-30' long. And we have more maple, a cherry and some box elder yet to get, on top of the 10 more scotch pines. My arm hurts!!

WOW!!
I'm tired just looking at the picture. Get some rest.

OK," Enough rest", *** time to get splitting & stacking :)

Nice score & a great picture.

rdust said:
I have at least a dozen dead scotch pines I need to deal with, if you were closer I'd give you bunches. :lol: One of my neighbors has an outdoor boiler he will get a lot of it, I'll save some for myself.

Snob. I can see why though, that stove you got doesn't deal well with softwoods.

Oh, and we have a second, smaller pile at the Old House (well, two piles really because it's in two spots in the yard). That's maple, more pine, more box elder and some elm. Not nearly as big as that one, but probably 3' high by at least 10' long if we put the two together. We figure you never know when scrounges will dry up and we won't get any for a long time, so get it while the gettings good. Even if it is softwood-it all burns :D

SolarAndWood said:
Snob. I can see why though, that stove you got doesn't deal well with softwoods.

:lol: I'm keeping some just don't have room for all of it, I've cut many already with more dying all the time. A lot of it is already getting slightly punky so it's hard to get it to dry out without taking on more moisture. I keep the solid stuff and send the others down the road. I never dreamed of burning pine with the old stove besides for using it a few splits at a time, this stove will still go 12 hours in the shoulder type weather on a load of it. I plan on using it for my shoulder season wood for seasons to come. :)

rdust said:
I never dreamed of burning pine with the old stove besides for using it a few splits at a time, this stove will still go 12 hours in the shoulder type weather on a load of it.

lol, I could probably get away with burning pine 90% of the time and still not have to do any relights. I don't go out of my way for it, but if I had a pile like that down the road I'd probably be all over it.

eclecticcottage said:
We figure you never know when scrounges will dry up and we won't get any for a long time, so get it while the gettings good.

One of the good parts of burning wood is that it literally grows on trees. ;-)

Jags said:
eclecticcottage said:
We figure you never know when scrounges will dry up and we won't get any for a long time, so get it while the gettings good.

One of the good parts of burning wood is that it literally grows on trees. ;-)

While that's very true, our scrounges are all by luck or CL...and if heating prices rise, we'll be competing with even more people trying to get them! It's usually a mad dash to get the ones we've gotten as it is. We drive by at least 15 OWB in our general area every day, there are a lot of folks who heat with wood nearby, wood at the curb doesn't usually last very long, even pine or willow (this scrounge wasn't curbside luckily, or it never would have lasted overnight).

Overall, neither of us was really enthused with buying wood last year and we'd like to avoid that if at all possible :D

Oh boy...we picked up a small load of some sort of REALLY heavy wood on the way home. Not sure what it is. About 5-6 pieces from 3'-5' long. And then, on the way past where the pine was...they had more trees down again today! Added about 4 more trees to the pile and they have two more down and another four at least tomorrow. I feel so bad that I have to work tomorrow and can't help DH pick them up-yesterday worked well with him bucking and me loading, then we both unloaded. We have a friend in town and she's going to help at least. I can't call in sick for firewood though...but I wish I could!

Is there such a thing as too much scrounging? Lol

I would bet that those trees killed by the beetles are probably ready to burn now because of the way the beetles kill the tree. By the time the needles start to fall off or turn brown the beetles have been at it for a good 8 months.

You're probably right, I didn't even get sap on my hands from them. We did get a few that WERENT standing dead though, and my carhart is full of sap now, lol. Nothing like going to work shedding sawdust and smelling like a Christmas tree farm :D

DH went back for the other 6 trees today and now we're taking down some black walnut for a neighbor and in line for a big huge old maple too. AND the neighbor to the place with the pine wants about 15 trees taken out by the same tree service, so we should be able to get those too. I'm thinking we're going to be splitting sooner rather than later!! I guess at this rate we should be able to get some other things done during the summer rather than scrounging, lol.

eclectic- great finds on the wood BUT-your blog is great!! read it all thru and love it. hope you will keep it up! have a connection with w. ny. lived in mendon for 8 yrs. and loved it. had a cottage on lake ont. at sodus point. reminds me of the travails you went thru to get yours.live in a log cabin waaay back in the n ky woods about 4 mos./yr and 6 mos. in muskoka ontario north of toronto on the trent severn waterway. love it up there. wny will always be a great part of our lifes memories. art

Hey, thanks! I do plan on keeping it going, we have a LOT more to do here to keep me in stuff to talk about.

Sodus? I LOVE Chimney Bluffs. Such a neat place.

Attachments

• woodwardthumbs35.jpg
    woodwardthumbs35.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 132
Status
Not open for further replies.