SCORED a scounge...YES!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokeyCity

Feeling the Heat
Mar 6, 2011
Western Pa
An abandoned lot one street over from me had humongous dead oak tree that I have been dreaming of taking down for years. Today I drove by and it was down. The tree company had taken most of the big limbs but they left this:

I called my friend who has a dump and is a firewood seller. Filled my pickup to the brim with rounds that were as big as my 30NC could take.
Got another load of smaller 3" and 4" in stuff + sticks. Spent entire afteroon with 10" chopsaw cutting up the smaller stuff for the 13NC upstairs.

This wood is incredibly dry.

The 2nd pic is some of the small stuff for the 13NC I cut up with the chop saw + some smaller rounds

Tomorrow and Monday we cut and split the 25ft by 36" trunk.

This is when owning a 30" chainsaw is actually justified.

If only it was locust.....

Attachments

• Scrounge.jpg
    Scrounge.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 507
  • smallStuff.jpg
    smallStuff.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 486
Nice! Can you buck the trunk!? Cheers!

Nice. You wish for locust, hard to tell from my phone, but that big stuff kinda looks like locust. Nothing wrong with oak if that is what it is.

Picky scroungers get less scrounges ;)
If you don't want the oak, I'm sure someone in your area will ;)
That would be a great scrounge to most of us.
Nice score ;

bogydave said:

Nah, I'm not taking any more Oak if they make me take anything under 12" in diameter and isn't perfectly straight :lol:

SolarAndWood said:
bogydave said:

Nah, I'm not taking any more Oak if they make me take anything under 12" in diameter and isn't perfectly straight :lol:

Yea,
But you are spoiled. LOL :lol:

Nothing wrong with oak. I only have one cord of seasoned oak for this year and Ive been saving it for the dead of winter, (if it ever gets here), but what a difference it makes when I load up on oak compared to the maple and ash Ive been burning so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.