Screws for vigilant door glass gaskets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ovie832

Aug 25, 2021
PA
Hi there,

My vigilant has one or 2 screw holes that have been stripped out. I can get it tight enough to where the gasket is nice and firm. But what are the screws that I should be using?

Also.. any advice for the one or 2 holes that don’t get tight? Is a new door the only option? Thanks for your time!
D4E95DB7-D50E-4775-8A18-1C1CB446BDEF.jpeg

Hi there,

My vigilant has one or 2 screw holes that have been stripped out. I can get it tight enough to where the gasket is nice and firm. But what are the screws that I should be using?

Also.. any advice for the one or 2 holes that don’t get tight? Is a new door the only option? Thanks for your time!
View attachment 294582
They should be machine screws not sheet metal screws to start with. They also don't look long enough. At this point you may need to drill and tap for slightly larger screws but it's hard to say. Take the door into a hardware store and find the right size machine screws (I should remember the size but don't I think they are 8-32 but could be wrong)

Reactions: ovie832
They should be machine screws not sheet metal screws to start with. They also don't look long enough. At this point you may need to drill and tap for slightly larger screws but it's hard to say. Take the door into a hardware store and find the right size machine screws (I should remember the size but don't I think they are 8-32 but could be wrong)
Yeah.. previous guy who ‘re-built’ the stove used them. Annoying

Worse case, the holes could be filled in with brazing rod and then redrilled and tapped. Note you may need something called a bottom tap to clean up the existing holes.

Reactions: ovie832
Original screws were 10-24, maybe try to chase the threads? There is a 2 part epoxy that can work to hold screws too. Marine -Tex will withstand the heat, just fill the hole, screw in screw best you can & clamp in place. Be sure there is oil on the screw so it will come out next time, but the hole itself has to be clean!!

I think Defiant3 is correct and they are10/24. I could not get mine outand when I tried to they snapped. Drilled new holes with a drill press and then tapped the holes and used new stainless steel screws. Put anti seize in the holes.