Scrounge backfired

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good job getting the wood and keeping things good with the neighbors. Most, but not all, people will treat you right if you treat them right.

Reactions: jjs777_fzr
Glad it ended well - maybe you clue him in on your next big scrounge - easier work with a partner

I agree with Osagebow...see if the guy wants to help out with some more scrounges. Its always better to have someone else on the lookout for wood and able to help out. Very glad to hear it all worked out and you got the wood...

I was faced with a similar dilemna about a year ago. I was doing some work in this town that got walloped by the Oct snowstorm, there was so much tree damage the town had the residents pile all the trees and branches on the curb for pickup. Most streets had it piled up 4-5 feet high. Most of it was small branches and brush but here and there there was some good size pieces. I came across a couple of cut up black locusts.but didnt want to just toss it into my truck. I rang the doorbell on the house that was closest to the trees, no one answered and I could tell by looking at the house they didnt burn wood or even have a fireplace. I ended up loading my truck up with the BL, I could just picture the town picking it up and chipping it up and letting it rot, couldnt let that happen :).

Glad no enemies made.
How much wood did the SIL get ?

Love these stories with suspense & happy endings. :)

As for the splitter & long cord,
be careful, it's easy to burn up the electric motor with low voltage ;)

I wouldn't have assumed it was fine before making sure with the old man. Not worth starting a fight over a couple logs.

Glad no enemies made.
How much wood did the SIL get ?

Before I took any the SIL probably got at least 1/2 cord worth.
But after I took two trailer fulls (in the past that would be almost 1 cord) - I left at least 45 linear feet of wood ranging from 8-18" diameter. So I'd say he's got at least another 1/2 cord left to cutup and split - both locust and maple.

Exactly whats wrong with America.
Maybe true, but is what it is. I suppose another problem with America is the right to free speech. Don't like it, don't read it.

Reactions: bad69bird
The old mans SIL is a hell of a dude. He didn't have to ring your doorbell or even say a word to you. He made it a point to go out of his way and smooth things over with you and should be rewarded accordingly. Beer is a great idea. Make it a quality brew for a quality dude.

Sounds like this could be the start of a good wood cutting relationship even . . . working with wood for me is always more enjoyable when spent with others sharing the work, the fruit of the labors . . . and perhaps a refreshing beverage afterwards.

Glad things worked out well in the end.

Truth be told . . . I think I would have tried to be fair and equitable even in the first place to help keep the peace in the neighborhood -- be willing to split the wood and the work with the son in law.

Status
Not open for further replies.