Scrounge score (warning: contains graphic footage of boxelder)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundchasm

Minister of Fire
Sep 27, 2011
Dayton, OH
www.soundchasm.com
Been striking out with some close calls but continue to push for the eight cord goal. Met somebody at a housewarming who had downed some trees. I thought they had just cut them down and I'd have some work to do, but I was flabbergasted when I arrived. This guy just wants some portion of this stuff gone. There's lots of ash, but there's box elder he wants gone, too. Not sure what final arrangement we'll make, and I may help him split some amount for himself (just a fireplace and firepit). It'll be fun, and his place is beautiful.

And here's an acquaintance I first checked with a couple years ago when this bad boy came down. For reasons unknown, she waited until now to tell me to take it. It's ash, and I'll get her a rack set up to keep what I split for her.

I'm a little tired of doing this, but I am going to give it my best shot to not run out and have a starting point for next year. I'm beginning to think that a good way to double my wood supply will be to get a cat stove that only burns half as much!! ;lol

PS - the video doesn't seem as effective as still shots for I.D.-ing, and I keep forgetting about a sticky lens cap I noticed after I loaned the camera to a buddy. I keep cleaning it, but I think he spilled some high-quality craft beer in there that is really holding on. :oops:

You're getting the good with the bad. Maybe you can drop the box elder at a landfill;lol

I burn a lot of box elder - mostly in the outdoor furnace. It dries fast, burns pretty good, but fast and does not coal much. I only burn it because I have so much of it. When clearing field lines we take only the best straight & nice easy stuff for firewood and burn the rest in piles. I think it burns better than pine.

It's right around Silver and Big Leaf Maple (currently both in-stock at my place), so as long as it doesn't burn with a malodorous bouquet, I may have to give it a shot. ;) Sometimes it's easy to forget how attractive any piece of wood is when you're freezing your keister off.

Status
Not open for further replies.