Scroungology 101

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dune

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
So I see a sign for a yard saw 1/2 mile from my house on a road I never travel. I pull down the road, and the yard sale is a dud, but I see a stack of wood that I can tell is abandoned. Edges falling over, covered with leaves, etc. It is obvious that no active woodburner lives there. I have to drive by three times over the course of two days before I see someone exiting the house. (I don't knock on civilians doors). I flag her down and ask about the wood. "That wood? thats rotting. It's been there for four or five years. Yes, you can have it but leave 1/4 of it for my outdoor firepit. Ended up with 1 and 1/2 cords of red and white oak, stove length, well-split and seasoned. About 2-3% rotted, the rest fine. It is in the wood shed now, aclimating.

LADYGO DIVA said:
what does "flag her down" mean?
aclimating in the woodshed is interesting too, or did u mean "acclimating"

Get her attention, wave to her, induce her to stop her car and talk to me. As far as aclimating goes, I are not so good at spellink or granmar.

Dune said:
LADYGO DIVA said:
what does "flag her down" mean?
aclimating in the woodshed is interesting too, or did u mean "acclimating"

Get her attention, wave to her, induce her to stop her car and talk to me. As far as aclimating goes, I are not so good at spellink or granmar.
Thats OK, everyone else knew what you meant. ;-P Nice job, it never hurts to ask, the worst they can say is NO and that is what I usually hear. :long:

LADYGO DIVA said:
dont knock on civilian's doors? i assume she wernt 2 civil?

I stopped and knocked on a door, because I could see a woodstove from the road as I drove by everyday. Gorgeous Young woman answers and stands on the porch talking to me for twenty minutes, says it's her stepfather's stove and he will be back later. By the time I get home, the cops are waiting. Seems the young lady was frightened, and told the cops the stove couldn't be seen from the road. I "might" have stared at her a bit or something. Of course when the police drove by her house, the stove was plainly visible.

Status
Not open for further replies.