Seal stove pipe through register plate or not?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

guest5234

Hearth Supporter
I have my stove pipe going through my steel register plate from my stove, when I open the stove door sometimes some smoke goes straight up through the small gap between the pipe and the register plate instead of coming into the room, should I seal the gap or leave it for smoke to escape.

I think what you are calling a register plate, we may call a damper on the left side of the pond? This would be a large movable plate in the chimney - typically used to close it off when a fire is not burning in the fireplace?

If I understand that correctly - the general advice is to make a block-off plate to seal the chimney except for the stove pipe passage. This is done for additional safety in case there would ever be a flue fire and also to prevent warm room air from traveling up the chimney.

cozy heat said:
I think what you are calling a register plate, we may call a damper on the left side of the pond? This would be a large movable plate in the chimney - typically used to close it off when a fire is not burning in the fireplace?

If I understand that correctly - the general advice is to make a block-off plate to seal the chimney except for the stove pipe passage. This is done for additional safety in case there would ever be a flue fire and also to prevent warm room air from traveling up the chimney.

Thanks, will seal it then.

Status
Not open for further replies.