Sealing around stovepipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Simonjkoch

Oct 18, 2011
Cape Ann MA
I have installed a 6" pipe through an 8" opening in my brick chimney. I don't want to mortar in a thimble in case I move up to 8" again. Is there an expanding foam that can handle the heat of the stove pipe or some kind of exhaust cloth that I can fill the gap with. It is covered from sight by the trim ring.

How about a fiberglass blanket just like what is used in fiberglass bat home insulation? Just remove the paper first.

boatboy63 said:
How about a fiberglass blanket just like what is used in fiberglass bat home insulation? Just remove the paper first.

No way to fiberglass. I do believe it will melt. Roxwool would be an alternative but I am unsure on the legality of using it in this type of instalation.

Shawn

shawneyboy said:
boatboy63 said:

No way to fiberglass. I do believe it will melt.

Shawn
Maybe you should let the stove manufacturers know that. My U S Stove Magnolia uses a fiberglass rope gasket on the door as well as on the top collar where the pipe goes into the stove. BTW, melting temp is around 2500+ deg F. At this temp, the pipe will be melting too.

Status
Not open for further replies.