Sealing between sections of Cast Iron boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

capetom

Feb 28, 2008
Nova Scotia, Canada
Hello All,

I've been reading the forum for a bit but this is a first post.

I purchased an older home with both a coal/wood and an oil boiler. The coal boiler is a 1958 American Standard Severn. It is generally in good shape but the sealing between the sections has crumbled. I was planning to reseal these gaps by chinking in a round gasket then sealing with a layer of furnace cement. Does anyone have experience with how this is normally done?

My plan at this time is to use the boiler occasionally and for a power failure emergency backup. As I have access to both coal and wood, future plans will be either more sophisticated controls (just manual now) to integrate the two boilers or looking at a gasifier/water storage when money allows.

Thanks for any advice on the seam question.

Tom

From what I have seen, the black cement sticks to metal better - I think a lot of this stuff is similar in composition (silicates), but since I have actually seen the shiny black stuff used on new boilers at the factory (and have used it to build cast iron stoves myself) - at least I know that works.

Status
Not open for further replies.