sealing stovepipe,what is the correct and clean way?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dkf5

Hearth Supporter
Nov 22, 2008
Central Upstate New York
I'm back. I've been reading and again learning. What is the correct or best way to seal the stovepipe? My guy gets it so messy looking and it cracks and falls off. Thanks Donna

Not sure why you are trying to seal your stove pipe, smoke can't really leak out of the joints with a properly operating system. Do you have trouble with this?

Ok was wrong in the actual stovepipe now that I think of it. But where the pipe comes into the stove. Does that have to be sealed? If so with what so it doesn't look messy? Sorry for that and thank you

I use a little stove cement. In addition, the two bolts on the collar screw into holes drilled into the stove pipe. This creates a perfectly airtight and secure connection. If your stove were to back-puff, the pipe cannot come undone. The Jotul manual also suggests using gasket material to seal the connection, but my pipe fit so tight there was no space.

We just used some high temp stove sealant, be careful, run a bead around the inside of the collar, then ease the pipe down and screw in place.

ahhhh! on the inside. He was putting it on the outside and it looked bad and would dry out and crack and fall off. Very nice!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.