Sealing windows

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fsr4538

Hearth Supporter
Jul 13, 2007
Just curious.

Do any of you use the plastic on the inside of your windows? If so, what difference does it make? I have begun doing it. It must make a difference as my hands are cold after I cover each window from the air coming in.

Any thoughts?

Forrest

I cover my sliding glass door and it makes a huge difference. I also have a large "in the wall" airconditioner. This is also covered. If it wasn't, it would be like a window open in the winter. I've found the only tape that works is 3M. Some of the other brands do not hold at all.

I use it also on two of my large skylights to keep the breeze from coming in,,,,it works pretty good,,,I also use the 3M product.

fsr4538 said:
Just curious.

Do any of you use the plastic on the inside of your windows? If so, what difference does it make? I have begun doing it. It must make a difference as my hands are cold after I cover each window from the air coming in.

Any thoughts?

Forrest

I have used the removable caulking and traditional caulking for leaky windows. I have tried the plastic wrapping, and it does work, but I used it to see how much of an air leak I had for certain windows. I then removed the plastic and went in with cans of insulation and caulking. I've even used refractory cement which kind of works like a joint compound. It made a huge difference with the window in the kitchen. Drastically cut down on heat loss.

I put plastic on all the windows in an old house I lived in. Some of the windows were original to the place and it was built in the early 1900s. Cut the heating bill in half.

I used to do it before we got the new windows. It made a huge difference because our house has a lot of windows.

Check out BuildItSolar.com. They have a whole section on how people have done this. The site owner, Gary, is a member here.

I use the plastic on the 4 single pane windows we have that don't yet have storm windows - the front door sidelights and the basement windows. Sooner or later I will make up custom storm panels.

If the problem you are trying to solve is air drafts, Id suggest caulking gaps around the casing and weatherstripping the movable sash instead. stick on vinyl v-seal is great on windows.

EDIT
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze7aq8e/homewindowrestorationwork/index.html
Look about halfway down for the scoop on what to do with V seal. Its hard to find now but I got an alternative to the 3M product called Ice-O-Tac. Have to google it.

Status
Not open for further replies.