Searching Forum

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deep Fryer

Jun 6, 2008
East Coast NY
Hello everyone, hope you all had a nice 4th of July weekend!

Before I start asking questions I was wondering if someone could explain to me if I am using the forum's search engine correctly.
For instance, if I do a search for "stacking wood" I get the all too familiar Your search did not return any results , if I do a variant like drying wood or seasoning wood I get the same results, which is none. Now I know I have seen threads on this topic but I cannot find them by doing a search, am I doing something wrong?
I dont want to ask questions that have already been addressed here without having first looked through the archives.

Thank you in advance !

Hi Pendulum!
I'll go ahead & ask away then.
BTW thats a great avatar, been admiring it in your other posts. :lol:

Thank you.

Both options of which I am very fond of :)

Pendulum, whats the wheather like up there, I have been wanting to visit Maine for a long time, the furthest I get up north is Vermont then my back starts getting very unhappy with the drive. You guys seem to have a nice combination of the mountains plus the ocean & most importantly, not too crowded!

Deep Fryer said:
Both options of which I am very fond of :)

Pendulum, whats the wheather like up there, I have been wanting to visit Maine for a long time, the furthest I get up north is Vermont then my back starts getting very unhappy with the drive. You guys seem to have a nice combination of the mountains plus the ocean & most importantly, not too crowded!

Unfortunately, so far this isn't the summer to visit Maine. As mentioned, this summer has been day after day after day of rain . . . and it's been cool as well. Normally, the weather this time of year is quite nice along the coast and hot inland.

As mentioned, there is a lot to Maine . . . the northern half is quite a bit different from the southern half and if you cross the Verona Island bridge you enter into yet another Maine. In general the further north or east you go the more "Maine" it gets -- in other words the further you go the more like the Maine of old time lore you will find. Personally, I most enjoy camping and geocaching up north and downeast . . . but it's not for everyone.

Acadia National Park: Quite busy this time of year, but also nice with a nice mix of some small mountains, oceans and lakes.

Thank you webmaster, I think I must have some sort of setting not set up quite right on my end of the equation. Its alright though as I have come across a lot of useful threads nonetheles that I would not have encountered otherwise.

Hi Jake!
I thank you for taking the time to fill me in on the many aspects of Maine, I have heard about the two (at least two) different aspects of your state. Personally I would like to see it all, but not when the crowds are around but I also dont want to get cought by surprise snow storm during a late august visit :) When is it "safe" to visit your lovely state, I have enough crowds down here & dislike bumping into NYrs when I travel far for the specific purpose of getting away from them :cheese: Somehow I have a feeling that you are going to come back & say winter time is the quietest time to visit but with my luck if I visit then you would probably have some sort of record breaking snow storms just to welcome me. I look forward to visiting soon though, my kids are old enough that they could do the trip & I keep trying to convince my significant other to move up north but her family is here so its going to take some time.
I have heard about Acadia National Park, it is stunning, I would dearly love to visit it when I make my first trek there.

Here too we have dad a lot of rain, especially in june, record breaking as a matter of fact & I love rain but it was getting out of hand even for me.
Enjoy your summer & I hope it clears up for you.

Another option, is to go to www.google.com and click on the Advanced Search link just to the right of the search box. Once in the advance search page, enter your search criteria, and near the bottom enter http://www.hearth.com in the Search within a site or domain field. This will use google to search within this site.

Deep Fryer said:
Thank you webmaster, I think I must have some sort of setting not set up quite right on my end of the equation. Its alright though as I have come across a lot of useful threads nonetheles that I would not have encountered otherwise.

Hi Jake!
I thank you for taking the time to fill me in on the many aspects of Maine, I have heard about the two (at least two) different aspects of your state. Personally I would like to see it all, but not when the crowds are around but I also dont want to get cought by surprise snow storm during a late august visit :) When is it "safe" to visit your lovely state, I have enough crowds down here & dislike bumping into NYrs when I travel far for the specific purpose of getting away from them :cheese: Somehow I have a feeling that you are going to come back & say winter time is the quietest time to visit but with my luck if I visit then you would probably have some sort of record breaking snow storms just to welcome me. I look forward to visiting soon though, my kids are old enough that they could do the trip & I keep trying to convince my significant other to move up north but her family is here so its going to take some time.
I have heard about Acadia National Park, it is stunning, I would dearly love to visit it when I make my first trek there.

Here too we have dad a lot of rain, especially in june, record breaking as a matter of fact & I love rain but it was getting out of hand even for me.
Enjoy your summer & I hope it clears up for you.

Actually if you're looking for the "dead" season in terms of tourists I would guess it would be Spring . . . Winter brings the sledders and skiers, Summer brings the bulk of the tourists and then in Fall we get the leaf peepers. However, once you're across the Verona Island bridge . . . heck once you're past Augusta tourists aren't so bad . . . unless you get behind a train of RVs going about 35 mph in a 55 mph zone.

For me and my wife, we generally prefer traveling in the Fall in most places . . . the exception being traveling to the Carribean or points south for a week in mid to late winter just for some heat and sun.

Some top picks in this "area" would include Acadia National Park, a stop at Fort Knox and the Bridge Tower Observatory . . . if you're really up for an adventure I would recomend a trip downeast to Campobello Island -- lots of scenic vistas, beautiful hiking trails, lighthouses and Franklin D. Roosevelt's summer "cottage" -- of course this is in Canada -- but at the same time a trip down that way means you can check out the eastern most point in the continental US, many lighthouses and of course sample fresh-off-the-boat steamed lobsters and/or friend clams and scallops . . . and in late-July to early-August you would be passing through Maine's wild blueberry fields which means there would be some stands open selling blueberries, jams, etc.

speaking of Maine, who all's going to the legendary Moxie festival ? ahyah (this coming weekend for those who don't know).
I also have plans to be in the Rangley area for some canoing at the end of August. I've been working on my Bigfoot calls. I htink this is the year I get that elusive side by side pic of us both flexing like Hulk Hogan!

Delta-T said:
speaking of Maine, who all's going to the legendary Moxie festival ? ahyah (this coming weekend for those who don't know).
I also have plans to be in the Rangley area for some canoing at the end of August. I've been working on my Bigfoot calls. I htink this is the year I get that elusive side by side pic of us both flexing like Hulk Hogan!

I love Moxie . . . and drink it as a special treat (and never the diet stuff . . . if I'm going to drink Moxie it has to be regular ol' Moxie) . . . never been to the festival yet.

My wife's favorite story is when she first came into the state from CT she thought Moxie was a local "orange-flavored" soda based on the bright orange label . . . she wondered for a brief minute why the soda was black like a cola . . . took a swig . . . and then thought she had drank some tainted soft drink. To this day she has never cultured a taste for that sweet and bitter elixir. :)

Moxie is by far my favorite soda! It reminds me of my childhood spending my summers in Maine with my grandparents, and going out into the woods with my grandfather and uncles to cut the winters wood.... Ahhhhhh sweet memories!

Jake, thanks for the suggestions, I look forward to making my way there, & I'll be sure to try out that funky elixir, Im intrigued :)

Deep Fryer said:
Jake, thanks for the suggestions, I look forward to making my way there, & I'll be sure to try out that funky elixir, Im intrigued :)

Don't thank me until after you've slugged down a bottle . . . and then you'll either love me or hate me for telling you about Moxie! :)

:lol: OK! I'm pretty game when it comes to food/drink so I'm sure it will be fine. :cheese:

Deep Fryer said:
:lol: OK! I'm pretty game when it comes to food/drink so I'm sure it will be fine. :cheese:

Just remember if you choose to drink some . . . I tried to warn you . . . and it is truly an acquired taste since some folks say it tastes like a mix of Coca Cola and cough syrup . . . as for me I like the sweet taste followed by the bitter after-taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.