Seasonal Smells

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NordicSplitter

Minister of Fire
May 22, 2011
Western,NY
I heard you can buy something to place on top of your woodstove that produces different smells like apple, cinammon, pine, etc... Is this a ceramic pottery jar where you fill it with some kind of liquid and the temperature of the stove does the rest? Would be nice for the Holidays...

I once put some spruce needles in the cast kettle on my wood stove, and it smelled nice. The key is, don't let the kettle boil dry like I did once....

I have a humidifier pot on my stove that I keep filled with water. Add cinnamon sticks, pine needles, whatever you please, smells very nice.

Shawn

I too have a humidifier pot I fill with water. I use scented oils you drop in the water that smell great and come in various scents. We bought ours at the local stove shop.

shawneyboy said:
I have a humidifier pot on my stove that I keep filled with water. Add cinnamon sticks, pine needles, whatever you please, smells very nice.

Shawn

Shawn - what do you use for a pot on that Manny? I worried about cast iron on the stone (scratching). Cheers!

NH_Wood said:
shawneyboy said:

Shawn

Shawn - what do you use for a pot on that Manny? I worried about cast iron on the stone (scratching). Cheers!

I have an enamel coated pot w/ lid that sits on a trivet. I will snap a pic of it for you on Tuesday.

I was looking for some natural oils to place in the stainless steel pot I have on top of the stove, they sale them all over the place. The problem was that I was concerned that the scents are chemicals and not natural. So I finally found a solution, I bought 100% pure oils like, clove, tea tree, eucalyptus, orange and peppermint. We used the clove and the scent lasted for days with only a few drops! It smelled great. What I am happy about is that it is good for you as well...

Enamel covered pot on a trivet . . . the first year I bought some fancy schmancy oils and stuff on-line that are supposedly made for this purpose . . . now I just go into Walmart and buy the cheap potpourri and add it into the pot once in a while . . . changing the scent on my fancy . . . the other day I put in "fresh linen" . . . will soon switch over to the "Christmas tree" scent or "apple cinnamon". I suppose if I was really cheap I could just throw in some pine needles.

I ain't puttin no cheap Walmart potpurry stuff on top of my Hearthstone. I'd sooner dress a pig in a tutu and I don't want my home stinking like Walmart. Nothing but the finest fancy schmancy oils purchased from a Whole Foods Emporium of good repute in a genuine antique Revere Ware copper and brass antique tea kettle, and a highly polished one at that.

(Besides, the pine needles are pretty dry around here now, I checked them yesterday).

Milt said:
I ain't puttin no cheap Walmart potpurry stuff on top of my Hearthstone. I'd sooner dress a pig in a tutu and I don't want my home stinking like Walmart. Nothing but the finest fancy schmancy oils purchased from a Whole Foods Emporium of good repute in a genuine antique Revere Ware copper and brass antique tea kettle, and a highly polished one at that.

(Besides, the pine needles are pretty dry around here now, I checked them yesterday).

Hats off to ya

I need to get a bigger tea kettle pot. I just bought a tea kettle and some scents, from Wally World. But I'm constantly replacing water in the tea kettle. Last year, I used a metal coffee can, but they rusted out. But I love the smell that they put out, while enjoy the flames in the stove.

I don't know what the stuff is but it smells nice. I will ask the butler and report back.

I eat corned beef and cabbage and have a couple of beers....plenty of seasonal smells at our house :lol:

Jack Straw said:
I eat corned beef and cabbage and have a couple of beers....plenty of seasonal smells at our house :lol:

:gulp: :shut: Ah, that may pose a problem when loading the stove.... :ahhh:

I love the smell of cinnamon sticks with whole cloves in the water.....and a lil nutmeg.....yummy...

Cinnamon sticks and cloves smell great when you come in the door, never tried nutmeg in there...yet.
I'm with Milt...no WM stench here.

I smell a nice apple-cinnamon-nutmeg aroma wafting through the house right now......wait a minute, the wife is baking apple dumpling casserole.......now THAT'S my kind of holiday scents........

Milt said:

agreed Milt.....gotta love that antique copper and I am sure it looks great on that Hearthstone!!

Nh here is what I use.... It just sits there. I don't have to move it to fill it. Only time I move it is to clean it, and the trivet stays. No scratches no worries.

Attachments

• humidifier pot.jpg
    humidifier pot.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 591
Is it better to have a steamer with a small or large opening or does it matter at all.

Depends on how hot your stove gets and how often you want to refill the steamer. The larger the opening, the more water vapor that escapes. If you are running a stove hot enough to boil the water, any opening will suffice.

Walmart sells scented oils in the candle section for like $2 a bottle.

No mention of placing pennies between the wood stove and the steam pot....
my Jotul salesman told me there's a chance of the pot fusing to the cast iron and to always place a few pennies between.
Anyone else heard of this?
I'm using an old copper pot from a junk store with cinnamon sticks and whole cloves, sitting on 5 pennies- just in case.

Vincent said:
Walmart sells scented oils in the candle section for like $2 a bottle.

Who knows what chemicals are in these oils, from China prob.

shortmillie said:
No mention of placing pennies between the wood stove and the steam pot....
my Jotul salesman told me there's a chance of the pot fusing to the cast iron and to always place a few pennies between.
Anyone else heard of this?
I'm using an old copper pot from a junk store with cinnamon sticks and whole cloves, sitting on 5 pennies- just in case.

Or buy a trivet . . .

not sure, but they smell good

Reactions: Espartaco
Status
Not open for further replies.