Seasoned Firewood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ixDragons

Hearth Supporter
Dec 27, 2007
Chester, NY
Hello burners!

First time burner here wondering if anyone can point me to a good firewood source in the Chester/Monroe NY area. My original source has disappointed me recently (wet wood) and need someone more reliable/consistent. Thanks to this awesome site I've learned to buy in the spring, but right now I need something to complete the season. Thanks in advance!

One thing that could help you get through this year is to find some pallets. Mix that wood in with some of the wet stuff and it should help the stove burn much better. Be carefull not to add too much pallet wood though, it can heat up a stove in a hurry.

You will need to check or have your chimney cleaned , sooner rather than later just to see what kind of build-up you have.

You are probably pretty much out of luck buying seasoned wood for this season. Actually, you will have a hard time buying truly seasoned wood almost any time of year. You can buy in spring - actually, you can buy almost any time of year, just don't plan to use it until the next year.

Pallets can be a good source of dry wood as already mentioned. Any construction site, wood working shop, etc that may have scraps of kiln dried wood might also be a consideration. Limbs of dead trees and dead limbs on the ground can be another source of dry wood - although it sounds like you may be more into buying than cutting.

As a last resort, you can split your wet wood fairly small, and burn it in hot fires. You'll still send a lot of btu's and $$$ up the flue, but you'll have a fire. It may be a good time to step back and see if burning the wood at an accelerated rate is still cost effective versus running your furnace or other heat source.

Lastly, there is a discussion of wet wood burning here:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/12882/

Thanks for the help so far. I have a few of pallets, I'll try using a mix of that. I also have lot's of scraps from the previous owner (new home owner). Is there any way to tell treated wood from lumber? I'd rather not burn treated wood.

When you think about treated wood, think about those landscaping timbers that are sold all over (3 x 5 x 8). Also don't try any plywood or anything that has any glue.

Be very careful not to burn any kind of treated wood. Burning it releases toxic fumes which can contaminate an entire house. Pressure treated wood which used copper compounds had a greenish cast; newer versions do not. Almost all treated wood is southern yellow pine which is splintery and very coarse grained; however, if there is any doubt about whether the wood has been treated do not use it.

You can usually tell treated wood from untreated wood by drilling a fresh hole in it.
I agree, when in doubt get rid of it NASTY STUFF. I've had my share of splinters and my white blood count is pretty high but that damn treated wood makes for a nasty wound.

Tell everyone you know you burn wood and are willing to come and get any that's been around, heck or still standing.
You'll be surprised by how may people give you wood.

Next time, order green wood in April 2008 and split and stack it yourself until you use it. You will have dry wood.

Carpniels

Better yet, order double the amount and stack it for winter 2009/2010. Then it will have dried for 1.5 years and you will have perfect wood.

babalu87 said:
You can usually tell treated wood from untreated wood by drilling a fresh hole in it.
I agree, when in doubt get rid of it NASTY STUFF. I've had my share of splinters and my white blood count is pretty high but that damn treated wood makes for a nasty wound.

Drilling a fresh hole in it and then?

Thanks every one for the replies.

ixDragons said:
babalu87 said:

Drilling a fresh hole in it and then?

Thanks every one for the replies.

Smell the shavings
Dont snort it, just give it a whiff. I know I can tell in a heartbeat if its treated or not

make a fresh cut on an end and look at the end grain you can usually see where the chemical has penetrated the wood

Status
Not open for further replies.