cocey2002 Posted By cocey2002, Dec 16, 2008 at 5:01 PM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cocey2002

cocey2002

Dec 28, 2007
    Loc:
    Central PA
    Have cut a few trees down and in the process of cutting them up. Pretty heavy wood.

2. Risser09

Risser09

Jun 26, 2008
    Loc:
    Lancaster, Pennsylvania
    does anyone know of an online chart showing seasoning times for different species?

3. Eric Johnson

Eric Johnson
    Mod Emeritus

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    Central NYS
    If it's anything like yellow birch, which I think it is, then two full years is about what it takes to get it dry. Don't be fooled by the bark, which will burn great even when green. The wood underneath is a different story.

4. PA. Woodsman

PA. Woodsman
    Minister of Fire

Feb 26, 2007
    Loc:
    Emmaus, Pennsylvania
    Yes, it's very heavy wood when green. It isn't terrible to dry out, but I'm talking about Spring/Summer not now. Great aroma, isn't it? Great all-purpose wood, from kindling to quarter-splits to main fuelwood. Around here we refer to it as "Cherry Birch" but Black Birch is the proper name. It's good stuff.

5. Eric Johnson

Eric Johnson
    Mod Emeritus

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    Central NYS
    Here's some yellow birch on the woodlot that I get my wood from. It's one of my favorite trees, along with ash. You PA guys will probably think it's black birch, but it's actually yellow. One of our money trees up here in the Adirondacks.

Attached Files:

6. Yamaha_gurl

Yamaha_gurl

Aug 31, 2008
    Loc:
    Ontairo
    +1 We could really use one of those :D

7. PA. Woodsman

PA. Woodsman
    Minister of Fire

Feb 26, 2007
    Loc:
    Emmaus, Pennsylvania

Thanks for the great pictures. I have never seen Yellow Birch here in PA.; that's why I brought a round of it home from Vermont when we vacationed there a few years ago! LOL...

8. gpcollen1

gpcollen1
    Minister of Fire

Oct 4, 2007
    Loc:
    Western CT
  9. PA. Woodsman

PA. Woodsman
    Minister of Fire

Feb 26, 2007
    Loc:
    Emmaus, Pennsylvania

Oh, I'm sure there is some somewhere in PA.; probably up North. But none of my friends nor I have ever seen any locally, and the one guy owns a logging business. When I tried to open your link it said "page cannot be found". I wish that it was local, because I liked the way that it burned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.