Second year, enough wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bugboy

Hearth Supporter
Mar 5, 2007
north-central Kansas
I had to start burning about a month early due to the early cold. I went through about 3.5 cords last year and have at least twice that stacked and split. I'm sure I won't run out but I still find myself wondering. I wonder at what point you stop worrying?

Attachments

• Second year, enough wood?
    025.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 459
  • Second year, enough wood?
    024.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 482
We have 5-6 cord split and stacked, 3 of them fully seasoned and ready to go. We have more to split and stack, but that's for future seasons. Historically we've burned about a cord and half in the house and doubling that amount will address the needs of the studio, as well.

I find that getting the stove going in the fall is more enjoyable than burning in the early spring cuz by then I'm a little "burned out". I haven't yet had a problem with running out of wood but I don't think I have an excessive amount either. Burn - guilt free!!

Worrying about this year or next? Seems that you need to be 3 years ahead by the end of September to not have to worry. Enough for what you will think you will burn this season and next plus a good safety factor.

You know you have just enough wood when your wife tells you she's leaving you if you scrounge even one more load!!

My wife says that constantly from about Mother's Day until the early part of fall every year.

Bad news. You never stop worrying. Burned three cords+ a season the last two years. Over nine cords stacked and already wondering if that third year's stack will be enough. It is endless.

He who dies with the most firewood wins.

Bugboy said:
I had to start burning about a month early due to the early cold. I went through about 3.5 cords last year and have at least twice that stacked and split. I'm sure I won't run out but I still find myself wondering. I wonder at what point you stop worrying?

I never stop worrying. Ever. About anything.

Bigg_Redd said:

That is what my wife says about me.

BrotherBart said:
Bad news. You never stop worrying. Burned three cords+ a season the last two years. Over nine cords stacked and already wondering if that third year's stack will be enough. It is endless.

He who dies with the most firewood wins.

BB, I ain't never seen a hearse with a wood rack ;-)

I'm in my second year, with 2 cords ready, plus some. I've got a load of rounds that need to be cut to size (great for the really cold weather & overnights) that are already seasoned and 1 cord of bigger stuff (just too bigh for the stove) from last year that needs to be resplit.

Plus about 2 years worth of rounds that need to be split, and 2 80' oaks coming down at the end of the month. 3 pines that need to be cut into rounds & split and seasoned.

Plus 1 1/2 cords of mystery wood that appeared split in my drive way 1 day :coolsmile: That's already stacked in the back yard, plus another cord that got delivered 2 weeks ago that still needs to be stacked (wet).

Next Sunday we're having a chain saw party :lol:

Well today I just got 4 face cords split and stacked up. I plan on having at least bare minimum of 10 face cords of nicely seasoned wood for winter. This is my first year for heating with wood, so it should be pretty interesting. I have almost nothing but sugar maple right now, with a little birch mixed in. Got a lot of work ahead of me yet to get next years wood cut and split as well, but im working on it.

I feel everyone should have a 3 year supply on hand. So I'd be concerned if I got less that that. Dare I say it? We are not worrying...

Bigg_Redd said:
Bugboy said:

Same here . . .

But to answer the original question . . . I'm not too worried this year . . . last winter was a long one and I made some mistakes that first year (i.e. burning way too much of the good stuff early on . . . burning inefficiently by adding too much wood to the fire too often . . . etc.) and I still had enough wood left over to start out this year . . . and now I figure I easily have three or four more cords than I did last year . . . of course I would never admit that to my wife who still is convinced I will end up with too much wood and have it rotting . . . even if it is under cover and off the ground.

You never quit wood processing...but once you get a good 3 years ahead you continue at a reduced pace. Why not?...it's not like you're going to stop burning.

Status
Not open for further replies.