Secondary air retrofit rebuild... Stainless vs Brass?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mr4btTahoe

Burning Hunk
Jan 13, 2015
Indiana
Hey alls...

So after 4 years... my black pipe secondary air system finally failed. I knew it would happen at some point and only used black pipe as a proof of concept.. but it held up great so I never changed it. Finally had a tube fail (no safety issues... secondary air just quit functioning).

So.. with that said, I'm going to pull the stove apart tonight... replace the baffle plate that I had installed (used 1/8" plate.. its what I had and again.. was just a proof of concept) with heavier plate that will handle the heat better along with fresh insulation and replace a few damaged bricks while I'm at it.

On that note, I'll be pulling out the burn tubes and rebuilding.

Question is.. which route to take. I can get stainless or brass for relatively cheap. Brass conducts heat better and will not become brittle over time. Stainless retains heat and has a higher melting point (1700F vs 2700F).

Which route would you take?

I strongly doubt the firebox would ever reach the melting point of brass (hottest temps I've seen is ~750F at the doors measured with IR temp gun.

Input?

Thanks
-Chris

Hey alls...

So after 4 years... my black pipe secondary air system finally failed. I knew it would happen at some point and only used black pipe as a proof of concept.. but it held up great so I never changed it. Finally had a tube fail (no safety issues... secondary air just quit functioning).

So.. with that said, I'm going to pull the stove apart tonight... replace the baffle plate that I had installed (used 1/8" plate.. its what I had and again.. was just a proof of concept) with heavier plate that will handle the heat better along with fresh insulation and replace a few damaged bricks while I'm at it.

On that note, I'll be pulling out the burn tubes and rebuilding.

Question is.. which route to take. I can get stainless or brass for relatively cheap. Brass conducts heat better and will not become brittle over time. Stainless retains heat and has a higher melting point (1700F vs 2700F).

Which route would you take?

I strongly doubt the firebox would ever reach the melting point of brass (hottest temps I've seen is ~750F at the doors measured with IR temp gun.

Input?

Thanks
-Chris
Brass will melt in a firebox. You are not measuring temps where those tubes are just under the baffle

Reactions: Mr4btTahoe
IR gun does not work through glass. Temps inside the stove are way higher.

yep like twice + where brass melts. on occasion my stainless tubes are glowing red in places.