Secondary burn / Air control/ chimney smoke settings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Welderman85

Feeling the Heat
Nov 1, 2017
Chesaning MI
Hello all I'm on my second time burning. I cant seem to get it dialed in. It seems like I get the fire box calm and temps good. My chimney is smoking. Here how it looked

Also how do you achieve secondary burn. My stove
top is around 350 450 the blower on medium so I'm sure the stove is hotter but the blower cools it down some. I see the flames getting hole blown in the from the tube holes but really never see the floating blue flames

Attachments

• 20191215_170904.jpg
    20191215_170904.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
It's not a lot of smoke but its there. Its hard to see in the photo but she's smoking just a little. My neighbors must think I'm nuts. Lol I have been going out side all say looking at the chimney now I was trying to take pictures.

Attachments

• 20191215_171729.jpg
    20191215_171729.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 102
Doesn't look like much secondary burn is happening. Give the fire a bit more air.

Doesn't look like much secondary burn is happening. Give the fire a bit more air.

What should a secondary burn look like. I don't think I happens often but then again I'm not sure what it looks like. Lol. It a small Avalon it just has the one tube in the front across by the door. When its burning good I can see the hole blowing into the flames but that's it

They wont always look the same. Here's 2 different videos showing secondary burns.

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
I have to turn mine down at that stage to get secondaries. I only have one air control. That isnt much smoke really. Dont believe the hype. In actual practice you will almost always have some smoke, hopefully very little.

Dont believe the hype. In actual practice you will almost always have some smoke, hopefully very little.
Not so, but it does depend on several factors from the wood to the draft to the operator. Once our stove is in the groove, the flue is clear.

Reactions: jsdashoes
Not so, but it does depend on several factors from the wood to the draft to the operator. Once our stove is in the groove, the flue is clear.

I have completely clear flue as well. Sometimes some steam pending outdoor weather but 90% of the time you cant see anything and cant smell anything.

Reactions: jsdashoes
I have completely clear flue as well. Sometimes some steam pending outdoor weather but 90% of the time you cant see anything and cant smell anything.
I think this is why we only get about a half-cup of soot per year when cleaning.

There are still particulates and hydrocarbons emitted whether you see it or not.

There are still particulates and hydrocarbons emitted whether you see it or not.
Yes, for sure, but they are not condensing in the chimney pipe.

Reactions: Grizzerbear