Secondary burn is way too cool...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jfigliuolo

Nov 28, 2005
Not temp wise, I mean it's freakin cool. Saturday my stove was cooking away, primary was way down. I opened it up to fiddle a bit, and noticed it was awfull smokey. Closed it up, went outside, nothing but heat coming out of the chimney. Pretty amazing actually.

It is way cool !
I can't believe way the that the secondary takes over- you can watch those secondary wood gases burn, the stove heat RISES the stack cools a bit and Nothing but a few white wisps are comming out of the chimney.- It's the greatest thing !
And don't get me started on how little wood it uses.

Wildsourdough said:
It is way cool !
I can't believe way the that the secondary takes over- you can watch those secondary wood gases burn, the stove heat RISES the stack cools a bit and Nothing but a few white wisps are comming out of the chimney.- It's the greatest thing !
And don't get me started on how little wood it uses.

WILD,

Does that mean you are not having any troubles maintaining secondary burn that others have complained about in other threads? I don't seem to be having any trouble but I was just curious as the Leyden and Oakwood I believe use the same reburn technology.

Not a problem at all !

Start with lots of kindeling, 3-5 splits of 2yr old seasoned hardwood, get a good hot fire going- (450+ on stovetop, 800-900 on flue) then kick er into secondary, It's like magic- beautiful to see, long lasting fire !
Stove top stays 375-525, Stack drops to 400.
I have been added 2-3 more peices before I go to bed- let er get hot again, then kick in secondary- lasts all night with much coals left in the AM.
Not going to do it tonight though- it got way too hot to sleep in here last night- couldn't go to sleep till 1AM (up at 5:20)

Mike Wilson said:
It is amazing, and actually pretty mesmerizing to look at... especially over a few beers... like 4.

-- Mike

LOL - Agreed. It reminds me of the northern lights (well as seen on TV).

Status
Not open for further replies.