Secondary combustion, PE Super 27?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dougstove

Feeling the Heat
Aug 7, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
Hi;
The secondary combustion baffle in the top of my PE Super 27 has rows of perforations near the front.
Sometimes, the secondary combustion appears mostly as little jets near the perforations - I guess the hot air is injected and triggers the secondary flames.
But tonight, most of the secondary combustion is a fairly smooth sheet of flame, coming across the bottom of baffle, from the back, where the air supply channel runs up to the baffle.
I am wondering if I knocked something loose?
Or is there normally a hot air air injection from the back as well?

Its just how it goes, sometimes its from the ports, sometimes its from the airwash: either way its all good... its when you don't get the 2ndry then you have a problem.

My T5 does performs similarly to your super 27. It tends to start with flames slowly and methodically washing over the entire glass face. There are always secondaries occurring down the center line of the stove along the air inlets on the baffle. Towards the end of the burn the secondaries along the front are much smaller, and the burn finishes with the secondaries towards the back center of the stove ending last.

As far as knocking something loose, there isn't too much to worry about, unless you have somehow dislodged the pin and pulled the baffle forward there isn't a whole lot that could be shook loose.

I am currently running my stove without the air inlet baffle gasket between the baffle and the air supply tube, and have not experienced any change.

Perhaps your wood is drier than usual, or you may have loaded it a little differently. Keep me posted if you discover anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.