Secondary Tubes Glow?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If the wood is up near the secondary tubes, mine will definitely glow. For secondary to happen the temp in the firebox needs to be around 1000 F, and I think metal starts to glow around 1200 F, so I don' think having glowing burn tubes means you're overfiring.

On my Quad 4300 ST the tubes start to glow at just over 500 stove top temps. a long ways before overfireing

Its hot in a fire box, this a list Corie posted.

At what temp will stainless steel glow red?

"Doesn’t really matter what the emitter is…stainless steel, cast iron, tungsten in your light bulb, the temps are about the same for a given color. Generally accepted colors/temps are:

C F Color

400 752 Red heat, visible in the dark
474 885 Red heat, visible in the twilight
525 975 Red heat, visible in the daylight
581 1077 Red heat, visible in the sunlight
700 1292 Dark red
800 1472 Dull cherry-red
900 1652 Cherry-red
1000 1832 Bright cherry-red
1100 2012 Orange-red "

Corie

I've never noticed my tubes glowing during normal operation, but I did see them go orange one night I decided to see what abuse the stove could take.........stovetop temp hit 1200*....no visible damage anywhere.

Glow quite a bit with the air vent closed down with the box full for the night, but only for a short time, the fire dies down for the long haul of the overnight hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.