Seeking 20X16 wall tent woodstove recommendations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Amanita Cottage

Dec 12, 2021
Vermont
We just got our camp tent set up and are looking for recommendations for a wood stove. The only other tent we saw this size (20x 16) had a 1970s stove rated for 1500sq ft. We are hoping to do winter glamping and it can get quite cold here in Northern Vermont. The stove pipe holes came pre-installed and are 6 inches. We were thinking maybe a Morso? We would love some sort of cooking surface. Thanks in advance for any help!

1DE883A0-4D2C-48F5-9A95-FCE131CFA9A8.jpeg 250E0F53-FFB5-4B79-9CAF-CF8FADD791AC.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you’d be limited by clearance requirements around the flue. Find the pipe and then choose the stove.

Reactions: Amanita Cottage
We buy the cheapest.

A barrel stove is enough to heat this cabin. It's usually available for $50-100 used around the neighborhood. I recommend lining it with 1 inch of perlite/grout mix.

If it's not warm enough, try the double barrel stove, which adds another barrel on top as combustion chamber.

Unlike the picky exclusive wood stoves, you can burn almost anything in it, including trash you collect from nearby towns on your grocery trip.

The barrel is also gender inclusive -- lightweight, easily moved by a woman.

Retail trash has similar heating values with wood.
Are you trolling?

Reactions: Amanita Cottage
I think you’d be limited by clearance requirements around the flue. Find the pipe and then choose the stove.
Great advice! We will measure for that
We buy the cheapest.

A barrel stove is enough to heat this cabin. It's usually available for $50-100 used around the neighborhood. I recommend lining it with 1 inch of perlite/grout mix.

If it's not warm enough, try the double barrel stove, which adds another barrel on top as combustion chamber.

Unlike the picky exclusive wood stoves, you can burn almost anything in it, including trash you collect from nearby towns on your grocery trip.

We don’t plan to burn trash and moving it is not an issue since it will be in one place forever. Once our living space is done this will be our art studio space. I thought barrel stoves were illegal?

Just like your little tent shed not compliant with any building code. If you do crap on the main structure, is there any reason not to crap on the stove?
Actually we don’t have building codes where we live so we are completely legal. And our insulated wall tent built to withstand snow loads is hardly “crap” as you put it. Who pooped in your coffee to make you so sad and spicy?

Reactions: SpaceBus
All of the tent stoves on the market are going to be very small and require loading every two hours or so. Something like a Morso 2b Standard/Classic, Vermont Castings Aspen, or Jotul 602 will probably serve you the best. There are also some smaller boat stoves, but they are expensive and even smaller. Maybe something like a wood burning cook stove would be good? They usually have a softer output, but require more frequent loading than a free standing stove.

Some friends lived in a tent like that for a couple of years. It caught on fire once from the wood stove. I don't know what that pipe hole is insulated with, but be careful. Jotul F602s are still common and they will work on 5" pipe. This would allow 5" chimney pipe up through the hole which would be safer. If buying new then look at the Cubic Grizzly stoves along with Morso and Jotul.

Reactions: SpaceBus
There are building codes in VT, it is just they are rarely enforced in rural areas.

You need a radiant wood stove, lots of surface area. An old Jotul 606 would be ideal. Lights quick and throws off a lot more heat than 602. The flue pipe is odd metric size but less than 6" so an adaptor would need to be made.

Actually we don’t have building codes where we live so we are completely legal. And our insulated wall tent built to withstand snow loads is hardly “crap” as you put it. Who pooped in your coffee to make you so sad and spicy?
All of Vermont has building codes

We buy the cheapest.

No. Just no