Seeking advice regarding venting Harman P-43

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SciGuy

Feeling the Heat
Aug 17, 2007
Constableville, NY
This summer I took down the top 15 feet of rapidly deteriorating block chimney that had been used to vent our P-43 for the past 5 years. We've chosen to keep the lower section of the chimney that both supports the house as well as an interior field stone fireplace that the stove sits in front of. My plan is to core drill out through the the fireplace's firebox to the exterior, install a clean out T, 3' vertical pipe and then appropriate termination. I also plan to clad the exposed black remainder of chimney with 1" of foam and cover that with board and batten to match the cabin. We're in a high snowfall area and I'm wondering what would be the most appropriate termination of the vertical vent or even if my plan makes the best possible sense.

What would be the most ideal termination of exterior vertical pipe? Thoughts in general?

Stove in front of mantle.jpg back of firebox.jpg Chimney outside.jpg

Most Harman stove manuals recommend a vertical run of three to five feet in order provide natural draft in case of a power failure. This natural draft will mitigate the risk of smoke getting into your home.

Reactions: Washed-Up
Mine come straight out through the wall with the OAK and about 18" maybe from the house turns down on and angle. We get a fair amount of snow here when it snows, and I have never seen mine get snow covered. For cleaning I just use a pull through brush. it is a straight shot once I take out the ESP.

Mine come straight out through the wall with the OAK and about 18" maybe from the house turns down on and angle. We get a fair amount of snow here when it snows, and I have never seen mine get snow covered. For cleaning I just use a pull through brush. it is a straight shot once I take out the ESP.
Straight out from the stove when it's positioned in front of the fireplace puts the termination about 5" above a deck with no potential to do a turn down. As Dansky mentions, a significant rise in the vent system decreases the potential for smoke in the house if the power fails. My old vent situation had a 20' rise with a huge draw that would never vent smoke during power failures. If the chimney hadn't been coming apart I'd have kept it.